Florida is the third-worst state in the U.S. for motor vehicle fatalities. Drivers in the state retain more than 1,000 car accidents every day, auto accidents kill nearly 3,000 people, and over 165,000 victims sustain injuries. The best way to avoid traffic accidents is to be aware of some of the most common causes of crashes.
Car accidents can be overwhelming, but you can obtain the compensation you need to recover if you take the necessary steps. At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we have years of experience helping victims of car accidents get the money they need to rebuild their lives. We know how to fight for our clients, and we will do everything possible to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free case review.
Speeding is defined as driving faster than the posted speed limit or driving too fast for road conditions. Speeding is a factor in nearly one-fourth of all fatal crashes, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and in 2017, speeding caused 426 fatal crashes on Florida’s roads.
Bad Weather Conditions
Bad weather conditions, such as rain, sleet, snow, and fog, can cause drivers to lose control of their cars, making accidents more common.
Distracted driving is any activity that takes a driver’s attention away from the road. This can include talking or texting on a cell phone, eating, drinking, talking to passengers, using a navigation system, and adjusting the radio.
Texting While Driving in Florida
In Florida, texting while driving is a primary offense. This means that a police officer can pull over a driver solely for texting. The first offense is punishable by a $30 fine. The second and subsequent offenses are punishable by a $60 fine and three points on the driver’s license.
Driving Under the Influence
Drunk Driving In Florida
Driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or higher is unlawful. In 2017, 5,015 car crashes were due to alcohol, with over 300 fatalities.
Aggressive driving is, also known as reckless driving, is any behavior that endangers other people or property, such as tailgating, making threatening gestures, purposely cutting off other drivers, and brake checking.
Drowsy driving is when a driver falls asleep at the wheel or experiences fatigue. It can be caused by not getting enough sleep, working long hours, taking certain medications, and having untreated sleep disorders.
What are Other Common Causes of Collisions?
Other common causes of collisions include failing to yield, running red lights and stop signs, and following too closely.
Common Injuries Resulting From Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor vehicle crashes often lead to serious injuries depending on the accident’s severity.
Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury is a severe and potentially life-altering injury. The most common cause of spinal cord injuries is motor vehicle accidents.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a brain injury that occurs when the head is suddenly and violently rotated or struck. Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of TBIs.
A fracture is a break in the bone. Fractures can occur when the body is subjected to sudden and extreme force, such as a motor vehicle accident.
A laceration is a deep cut or tears in the skin. Lacerations can occur when the body is hit by flying glass or debris.
Internal injuries are injuries to the organs, such as the liver, spleen, and lungs. Internal injuries can be caused by the force of the impact in a motor vehicle accident.
How to Avoid a Vehicle Collision
There are a few things you can do to avoid being involved in a car accident.
- Follow the speed limit regularly and never drive too fast for road conditions.
- Pay attention to the road and avoid distractions.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Be aware of aggressive drivers and give them space. If you are being tailgated, let the other driver pass.
What to Do After a Car Accident
A traffic collision can happen at any time. When you get behind the wheel, it’s impossible to know what will happen. If you are involved in a car accident, you should stop your vehicle and turn on your hazard lights. If possible, move your vehicle to the side of the road. Then:
- Check yourself and your passengers for injuries. If anyone is injured, call 911.
- Once the police arrive, they will create a report of the accident. Be sure to get a copy of this report, as it will be important for your insurance claim.
- If the police do not come to the accident scene, you should still file a report with your local police department or sheriff’s office.
- After you have dealt with the accident’s immediate aftermath, you should contact your car insurance company to start the claims process.
- Contact a car accident lawyer for assistance with filing a claim and negotiating with insurance companies.
What The Fran Haasch Law Group Can Do For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we focus on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits, and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 21 years of experience, we draw on constant medical research to help clients recover after being injured in auto accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
We Get You the Compensation You Deserve
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
We have obtained multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements for personal injury cases involving auto accidents, as well as claims concerning wrongful death and catastrophic injuries.
Here are a few of our car accident case results:
- $1.8 million for our client in Pinellas County who was injured in a car accident
- $1.8 million for a 33-year-old female client in Hillsborough County who was lawfully stopped for a left-turning vehicle ahead when she was rear-ended by the defendant vehicle, which was then rear-ended by the vehicle behind it, causing the client to feel two impacts. This resulted in multiple back surgeries and an infection which caused the client to be hospitalized several times.
- $1.6 million for a 25-year-old female passenger on a motorcycle when the defendant cut across the client’s path. The client was thrown over 200 feet from the motorcycle. The accident resulted in a fractured leg, broken finger, back surgery, and many other injuries.
- $1.55 million for a 46-year old male in Pasco County who was stopped at a red light on U.S. Highway 19 in Pasco County and was rear-ended by the defendant at a high rate of speed.
- $1.35 million for a client in Pasco County. The defendant turned left in front of our client, causing the client’s vehicle to flip and resulting in many injuries.
- $1.34 million for a 69-year-old male client in Orange County who was in the left turn lane when the defendant came across his pathway while attempting to turn and collided with the client. The accident resulted in multiple severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken arm that required surgery, and several lacerations.
- $1.3 million for a 33-year-old female client in Pinellas County who was rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light with her three children in the car with her. The accident resulted in multiple surgeries and complications.
- $1.025 for our client injured in a car accident in Hillsborough County.
- $1.0 million for a client in Hillsborough County rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer Today
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We strive to help injured individuals and the loved ones of those wrongfully killed, secure the full, fair recovery they are owed. We offer dedicated legal representation for car accident victims and victims of bicycle, rideshare, and semi-truck accidents.
If you feel you have been the victim of a car accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 784-8191 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.