Venice Car Accident Attorney
If you are one of the 25,000 people living in Venice, Florida, you know that the city is a beautiful place to live. With its canals and sandy beaches, it’s easy to see why Venice is such a popular destination. However, even though Venice is a lovely place to live, dangers still lurk around every corner. Car accidents are one of the leading causes of injuries and deaths in Venice, FL. There were over 6,000 car accidents in Sarasota County last year alone.
If you have been injured in a car accident, you need to speak to a car accident lawyer as soon as possible. A car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. The Fran Haasch Law Group team is here to help you! We have years of experience helping injured victims get the money they need to pay for medical bills, lost wages, and more. Contact us today for a free case review.
What to Do After a Car Accident
In 2021, there were over 6,000 accidents in Sarasota County, Florida. Of those accidents, there were 61 fatalities and 3,841 injuries. Getting into a car accident in Florida is not uncommon. But what should you do if it happens to you?
- Seek Medical Treatment: The first thing you should do after an auto accident is to seek medical treatment, even if you think your injuries are minor. Often, people don’t realize the full extent of their injuries until days or weeks after the accident. It’s important to get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible to start the road to recovery.
- Get the Other Driver’s Information: This includes their name, insurance company, and policy number. You will need this information when you file a claim with your insurance company.
- File a Police Report: You should also file a police report, even if the accident was minor. A police report can be helpful when you are filing an insurance claim.
- Take Pictures: If you can, you should take pictures of the accident scene, your injuries, and the damage to your vehicle. These pictures can be used as evidence in an insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Get a Copy of the Accident Report: You can get a copy of the accident report from the Venice Police Department or the FLHSMV Crash Portal. This report will have information about the accident, including what happened and who was at fault.
- Contact an Attorney: If you have been injured in a car accident, you should contact an experienced car accident lawyer. A lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options. They can also help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Venice, Florida
Many things can cause a car accident. But some causes are more common than others. Here are some of the most common causes of car accidents in Venice, Florida:
Distracted driving is one of Florida’s leading causes of car crashes. Drivers who are distracted are more likely to make mistakes that can lead to accidents. Distracted driving includes anything that takes a driver’s attention away from the road, such as talking on the phone, texting, eating, or changing the radio station.
Speeding is another leading cause of collisions in Florida. When drivers are speeding, they have less time to react to hazards on the road. This can lead to severe accidents.
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is also a leading cause of auto accidents in Florida. Intoxicated drivers are likelier to make mistakes that can lead to an accident.
Bad weather, such as rain, can also cause automobile accidents. When the roads are slick, it can be difficult for drivers to stop or turn. This can lead to serious accidents.
What is Negligence in a Car Accident Claim?
After a car accident, you may be able to get compensation for your injuries from the other driver. But to do this, you must show that the other driver was negligent.
Negligence is when a person fails to take reasonable care, and someone is injured. There are four elements of negligence: duty, breach, causation, and damages.
- Duty: The first element of negligence is duty. To be held liable for an accident, the other driver must have had a duty to take reasonable care. This means that they had a responsibility to drive safely and avoid accidents.
- Breach: The second element of negligence is breach. This means that the other driver failed to take reasonable care. They breached their duty by driving recklessly or failing to follow the road rules.
- Causation: The third element of negligence is causation. This means that the other driver’s breach of duty caused your accident. If the other driver had not been negligent, your accident would not have happened.
- Damages: The fourth element of negligence is damage. This means you must have suffered some injury or damage in the accident.
No-Fault Insurance in Florida
Florida is a no-fault state. This means that each driver’s insurance company will pay for their medical expenses and lost wages, regardless of who was at fault for the accident.
- PIP Coverage: In Florida, all drivers are required to have personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. This coverage will cover your medical expenses and lost wages up to a certain limit.
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage: In Florida, drivers do not have to carry bodily injury liability coverage. However, it is incredibly important to have. This coverage will pay for the other driver’s medical expenses and lost wages if you are at fault for the accident. It will also help cover your legal fees should the other driver sue you.
- The Negligent Driver’s Insurance – if the other driver was at fault for the accident, then you might be able to hold them responsible by filing a claim with their insurance company.
- A Car Accident Lawsuit – If your injuries are severe, you could be eligible to seek compensation by going through the civil court system and filing a claim against the at-fault party.
Comparative Fault in Florida
In some cases, more than one person can be at fault for an accident. When this happens, the court will use the comparative fault doctrine. This means that each person will be liable for their own percentage of fault.
In March 2023, Florida introduced a significant legal change by replacing the pure comparative fault system with a “greater percentage of fault” system. This change makes the determination of fault and compensation more stringent than before. Under the new system, if an individual is found to be responsible for more than 50% of their injury, they cannot recover any damages.
The Statute of Limitations on Car Accidents in Florida
The statute of limitations is the time limit you have to file a lawsuit. In Florida, the statute of limitations for car accidents is two years from the date of the accident. This means that if you do not settle your claim or file your personal injury lawsuit within two years, you will be unable to recover any compensation for your injuries.
Common Injuries Suffered in Car Accidents
Some of the most common injuries suffered in car accidents include:
How The Fran Haasch Law Group Can Assist You in Filing a Personal Injury Claim
The Fran Haasch Law Group personal injury attorneys focus on helping you and your family recover. Our law firm pursues injury lawsuits and wrongful death claims to obtain total compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
We Have the Experience Necessary to Help You
With over 21 years of experience, we draw on constant medical research to help clients recover after being injured in auto accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our car accident attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
We Have Obtained Multi-Million-Dollar Jury Verdicts and Settlements
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
Here are some of our case results:
- $1.8 million for our client in Pinellas County who was injured in a car accident
- $1.8 million for a 33-year-old female client in Hillsborough County who was lawfully stopped for a left-turning vehicle ahead when she was rear-ended by the defendant’s vehicle, which was rear-ended by the car behind it, causing the client to feel two impacts. This resulted in multiple back surgeries and an infection which caused the client to be hospitalized several times.
- $1.6 million for a 25-year-old female passenger on a motorcycle when the defendant cut across the client’s path. The client was thrown over 200 feet from the bike. The accident resulted in a fractured leg, broken finger, back surgery, and many other injuries.
- $1.55 million for a 46-year-old male in Pasco County who was stopped at a red light on U.S. Highway 19 in Pasco County and was rear-ended by the defendant at a high rate of speed.
- $1.35 million for a client in Pasco County. The defendant turned left in front of our client, causing the client’s vehicle to flip and resulting in many injuries.
- $1.34 million for a 69-year-old male client in Orange County who was in the left turn lane when the defendant came across his pathway while attempting to turn and collided with the client. The accident resulted in multiple severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken arm that required surgery, and several lacerations.
- $1.3 million for a 33-year-old female client in Pinellas County who was rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light with her three children in the car. The accident resulted in multiple surgeries and complications.
- $1.025 for our client injured in a car accident in Hillsborough County.
- $1.0 million for a client in Hillsborough County rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
The Fran Haasch Law Group: Car Accident Lawyers That Work For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, our legal team is committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We offer dedicated legal representation for car accident victims and bicycle, rideshare, and semi-truck accidents. We strive to help injured individuals and the loved ones of those wrongfully killed secure the full, fair recovery they are owed.
If you feel you have been the victim of a car accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 784-8191 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.