Car Accidents

Understanding UIM/UM Coverage in Florida

Tampa Bay Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Lawyers

If you were involved in a hit-and-run accident or were injured in a collision with an underinsured/uninsured motorist, you may feel as though you are out of luck in terms of recovering compensation for your damages. However, it is possible that you are already covered through your own insurance provider. If you have underinsured motorist/uninsured motorist (UIM/UM) coverage, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your injuries and other losses.

UIM/UM coverage is not mandatory in Florida; only those who carry UIM/UM insurance through their own auto policy are covered. Our firm can help you determine if your losses are covered and if so, can help you work to secure the full compensation you are owed. These types of claims are complex, so it is important that you speak to an experienced and knowledgeable underinsured/uninsured motorist attorney in Tampa about your legal options.

We serve clients in Clearwater, Tampa, Palm Harbor, St. Petersburg, and the Greater Tampa Bay region and beyond.

Call (727) 784-8191 or contact us online for a free evaluation.

Who & What Does UIM/UM Insurance Cover?

Underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage does not just apply to you; it also applies to other people who are in the car with you at the time of the accident, as well as any relatives you have that live in your household. In other words, if you have UIM/UM insurance and you are hit by an underinsured motorist while your spouse is in the car, any injuries that either you or your spouse receive will be covered. Additionally, if your teenager is involved in a hit-and-run, he or she is covered by your UIM/UM insurance.

In most cases, UM/UIM coverage pays for the following damages: 

  • Medical bills
  • Ongoing and long-term medical treatment
  • Medical equipment (such as wheelchairs)
  • Loss of income/wages
  • Lost or reduced earning ability (disability)
  • Pain and suffering

It is important to note that, in Florida, UIM and UM coverage does not pay for property damage to your car. It is a good idea to purchase collision coverage in the event that you are hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorist and your vehicle is damaged or totaled.

Why You Should Have UIM/UM Coverage

It is estimated that about one in seven Florida drivers does not have any auto insurance. Secondly, Florida does not require bodily injury coverage at all. Instead, automobile drivers are only required to carry PIP/PD polices. If you are hit by an underinsured motorist and you do not have UIM/UM coverage, you could be left facing enormous medical bills, as well as other devastating, life-altering damages.

If you are injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, you should not have to pay for your medical bills and other losses out of pocket. However, this is the reality for many people. UIM/UM coverage can protect you and your family in the event of a serious car crash.

Contact Our Firm Today

At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we assist clients who have been injured or who have lost loved ones in automobile collisions throughout the Greater Tampa Bay Area and beyond. If you are unsure whether or not you have UIM/UM coverage, or you are having a difficult time obtaining the compensation you are owed by your insurance provider, we can help.

Request Your Free Case Evaluation

Contact Us

Phone:   (727) 784-8191
Adress: 1275 Nebraska Ave,
Palm Harbor, FL 34683
Fill out the form to get started or give us a call to speak with our legal team directly.