Skip to content

How To Get An International Motorcycle License

How To Get An International Motorcycle License, United States Government Documations

If you’re a motorcycle enthusiast and want to do some international travel, you’ll need an International Driving Permit with a motorcycle endorsement. This international driving document allows you to ride your bike in foreign countries without having to get a local license.

At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we want motorcycle enthusiasts to be safe, stay legal, and ride a motorcycle to their hearts’ desire. If you’re going to ride your bike abroad, there are important rules and regulations to follow.

What is an International Driving Permit?

An international driving permit (IDP), sometimes called an International Driver’s License) is an official document that certifies the validity of your home driving license. An international license is a valid form of identification in 150 countries. However, it does not replace your regular driver’s license. You will still need to carry your license with you.

How to Get an International Driver’s Permit

An international drivers permit is recognized in many countries, but it must be issued in the same country where you received your driver’s license. Getting an IDP is as easy as going to your local AAA office and filling out a form.

Applying in Person

To apply for international driver’s licenses in person, you’ll need:

  • Fill out an application and bring it to your local AAA branch office
  • Two original passport pictures
  • A valid driver’s license
  • A $20 permit fee

Applying by Mail

If you can’t make it to an AAA office, you can obtain an international driver’s license through the mail. You’ll need the following:

  • A completed IDP application form
  • Two original passport pictures with signatures on the back
  • $20 permit fee
  • A photocopy of both sides of a valid drivers license
  • To expedite international driving permits, you’ll need to include additional funds.

Riding a Motorcycle

If you plan to ride a motorcycle while abroad, you can follow the same steps as above. However, besides bringing a valid license, your license will need to have a motorcycle endorsement. Then, you’ll just need to make sure your IDP is issued with the endorsement.

Grayscale of a rare white Harley Davidson motorcycle on the road

Rental Requirements Abroad

Like car rental companies, motorcycle rentals require a valid driver’s license that allows you to drive a bike. To drive a motor vehicle legally when you’re abroad, it’s important to have your IDP on hand. An international drivers license is an essential document to provide to authorities if you are ever pulled over.

Florida Motorcycle License Requirements

Planning to ride a motorcycle abroad but don’t have your motorcycle license yet? Florida drivers have two ways to get a motorcycle operator’s endorsement.

Motorcycle Licenses

To get a motorcycle license, you must be at least 16 years old and have held a learner’s license for at least a year with no traffic convictions. Drivers over 18 are eligible for motorcycle licenses or endorsements without getting a permit first.

You can go to any driver’s license office to take a written test made up of 20 questions. Once you pass the written test, the state will issue you a permit that is good for 60 days.

Before your permit expires, you must take a driving test. The driving test is more hands-on and will require you to show that you can operate a motorcycle safely on public roads. You can practice for the driving test by taking a motorcycle safety course.

Once you pass the driving test, you’ll get a new driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement.

Motorcycle Endorsements

A motorcycle endorsement is for drivers who already have a Florida driver’s license. To get a motorcycle endorsement in Florida, you must:

  1. Hold a regular Class E Driver’s License
  2. Complete the Basic RiderCourse (BRC) or Basic RiderCourse updated (BRCu) motorcycle safety course. You can take these courses at any authorized Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
  3. Go to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles or tax collector office that issues a motor vehicle license with your course certification and proper ID.
  4. Pay the required endorsement fee ($7) and a license fee ($48). In addition, if you are applying at a county tax collector office, you will pay an additional fee ($6.25).

Once you have a valid motorcycle license, you can get your international driver’s license at any time.

flags from different countries, getting an international motorcycle license

Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?

At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we support the Tampa Bay biker community personally and professionally. We understand personal injury law for motorcyclists and have committed to protecting motorcycle rider rights. 

We have handled numerous motorcycle accident claims in Clearwater, Palm Harbor, and Tampa and know insurance companies’ strategies to avoid rewarding full compensation. 

If you feel you have been injured in a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Contact Us Today

Contact The Fran Haasch Law Group online or by phone to speak to an experienced attorney in Clearwater today.

MM slash DD slash YYYY
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
metricool pixel