FLORIDA PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is essential to contact a pedestrian accident attorney as soon as possible. A skilled lawyer can help you get compensation for your injuries. Our Florida pedestrian accident attorneys at The Fran Haasch Law Group have more than 21 years of experience helping people injured in pedestrian accidents. We are dedicated to getting you the money you need to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Serving Clearwater, Tampa, Palm Harbor, New Port Richey, St Petersburg, and the surrounding areas, we are passionate about fighting for you. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS IN FLORIDA
Traveling by foot is a necessity for many people in Florida. Unfortunately, this increases the risk of pedestrian accidents. Pedestrian accidents are far too common and have grown consistently in recent years. In 2020, pedestrians accounted for 17% of all traffic deaths. This statistic is shocking but even more devastating, considering that these accidents are often preventable.
According to a report from the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), drivers struck and killed an estimated 7,485 people on foot in 2021 across the United States. That is the most pedestrian deaths in a single year in four decades. Pedestrians accounted for 17% of all traffic deaths in 2020, and since 2018, the percentage of pedestrian fatalities among children younger than 15 has doubled from 5.8% in 2018 to 11.9% in 2020.
Unfortunately, Florida is a hotspot for these accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association, Florida ranked the third-highest in pedestrian fatalities in 2019. In a March 2021 article from the South Florida Sentinel, South Florida is the 13th most dangerous region in America for pedestrians. US-19 is the deadliest highway for pedestrians in Florida, with over 48 people dying in car accidents that involved pedestrians in Pasco County between 2017 and June 2022.
Across the state, there was a five year high for crashes involving pedestrians in Florida in 2022 according to preliminary data from the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle division with 9,996, just shy of 10,000. Of those crashes, 761 resulted in pedestrian fatalities, further underscoring just how common and dangerous these types of accidents are in the state.
WHAT TO DO AFTER BEING HIT BY A CAR IN FLORIDA
Listed below are essential steps you need to take if you were hit by a car while walking in Florida.
Seek Medical Treatment
Seek medical attention as soon as possible. It is crucial to be seen by a doctor, even if you feel your injuries are minor. Some injuries, such as head injuries, may not be immediately recognizable.
Follow Your Doctor’s Treatment Plan
Following your doctor’s treatment plan will help you recover from your injuries. This also provides evidence of the extent of your injuries and how they have impacted your life.
Report the Accident to the Police
The police will create a report that could have substantial information for your lawyer to use to build your case.
The next step is to gather evidence from your accident. If you can, take pictures of the accident scene, your injuries, and the damage to your property. You should also get the contact information of witnesses who saw what happened.
Contact a Florida Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Before you talk to the insurance company, contact a Florida pedestrian accident lawyer. An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options. They can also negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve.
File an Insurance Claim or Lawsuit
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be able to file an insurance claim or lawsuit to recover compensation.
Keep All Your Receipts
Keep all your receipts for any medical treatment, property damage, or other expenses related to the pedestrian accident. This documentation will be important in proving the damages you have suffered from your pedestrian accident.
Dealing with the aftermath of a pedestrian accident can be overwhelming. However, by taking action right away, you can protect your legal rights and give yourself the best chance of getting the compensation you deserve. Contact a pedestrian accident attorney today to learn more about your legal options.
HOW MUCH ARE PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT CLAIMS WORTH?
The value of a pedestrian accident claim depends on the facts of each case. Some factors that may affect the value of your claim include:
- The severity and nature of your injuries
- The amount of medical expenses you incurred
- Whether you have missed time from work and, if so, how much
- How your injuries have impacted your life
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact a Florida pedestrian accident attorney to determine your legal options and the best course of action for getting compensation for your injuries. A pedestrian accident law firm will help you navigate the legal process smoothly so you can focus on healing.
COMPENSATION AVAILABLE IN A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT CASE
If you have been hit by a car while walking, you may be entitled to compensation. The amount of compensation recoverable will depend on the facts of your unique case.
Compensation for Medical bills
If you are an injured pedestrian, you can recover compensation for your medical expenses. This can include hospitalization, surgery, rehabilitation, and other costs associated with your injury treatment.
Compensation for Lost Wages
If you miss time from work because of your injuries, you can recover compensation for your lost wages. You may also be able to recover compensation for lost earning capacity if your injuries prevent you from working in the future.
If you missed work due to your pedestrian accident, you are entitled to compensation for your lost wages. You are also entitled to compensation for any future loss in earning capacity if your injuries prevent you from continuing to work in the same capacity as before the pedestrian accident.
Compensation for Pain and Suffering
It may be possible to obtain compensation for the physical and emotional pain and suffering caused by your injuries.
Compensation for Property Damage
If you have suffered damage to your personal property in a pedestrian accident, you can also recover compensation for those damages.
WHAT ARE THE DEADLINES FOR FILING A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT CLAIM IN FLORIDA?
The deadline for filing or settling a pedestrian accident claim in Florida is two years from the date of the accident. You will be barred from recovering any compensation if you do not file your claim within this time frame.
Because of this deadline, it is essential to contact a pedestrian accident lawyer immediately after an accident. A pedestrian accident lawyer can help ensure that your claim is filed on time and that you do not miss any critical deadlines.
COMMON CAUSES OF PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS
Many factors can lead to a pedestrian accident.
- Distracted Driving: is one of the most common causes of pedestrian car accidents. Drivers distracted by their phones, passengers, or other variables inside their cars are more likely to hit pedestrians
- Speeding: A speeding driver has less time to react to a pedestrian on the road
- Impaired Drivers: Drivers impaired by alcohol or drugs are more likely to injure pedestrians
- Drivers Who Fail to Yield: Walkers, joggers, and runners are hit by drivers who fail to yield the right of way. This is a common occurrence at crosswalks
- Crossing Outside of a Crosswalk: Pedestrians who try to cross the street outside of a marked crosswalk are more likely to be hit and injured by a car
- Bad Weather: Low visibility due to fog, snow, or rain makes it harder for drivers to see pedestrians, increasing the risk of a pedestrian accident
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident caused by another person’s negligence in Florida, you might be able to file a pedestrian accident lawsuit. Contact a pedestrian accident attorney to discuss your legal options.
TYPES OF INJURIES PEDESTRIANS SUFFER FROM
Pedestrians suffer a wide range of injuries in the event of an accident. Some of the most common pedestrian accident injuries include:
- Head Injuries: Head injuries are some of the most severe and potentially life-changing injuries a pedestrian can suffer. Unfortunately, they are also very common. A head injury can result in long-term problems, including cognitive impairments, personality changes, and memory loss.
- Neck Injuries: Whiplash is a common neck injury in a pedestrian accident. Symptoms of whiplash include neck pain, stiffness, and headaches. These injuries can also be severe in nature and have lasting effects.
- Back Injuries: Back injuries are a common type of injury pedestrians suffer in accidents. These injuries range from mild to severe and often cause long-term pain and disability.
- Broken Bones: Pedestrians injured in a car accident can suffer broken bones. These injuries can be excruciating and may require surgery.
FLORIDA PEDESTRIAN SAFETY TIPS
Despite the dangerous roads in Florida, there are ways to reduce your risk.
- Always walk on a sidewalk if one is available. If there is no sidewalk, walk on the shoulder of the road facing traffic.
- Make sure you are visible to drivers. Wear bright clothing during the day and reflective gear at night.
- Cross the street at marked crosswalks or intersections whenever possible.
- Do not walk while distracted. Put away your phone and headphones to be aware of your surroundings.
- Always yield to drivers when appropriate. Remember, even if you have the right of way, a driver may not see you.
- Look both ways before crossing the street, even if you have a green light.
Along with following these tips, pedestrians should also familiarize themselves with the traffic laws that Florida has put in place to keep pedestrians and drivers safe.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is important to contact a pedestrian accident attorney as soon as possible. A pedestrian accident lawyer can make a major difference for you and your loved ones as you move forward after a pedestrian accident. Contact our experienced pedestrian accident lawyers at The Fran Haasch Law Group for a free consultation.
CONTACT THE FLORIDA PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT LAWYERS AT THE FRAN HAASCH LAW GROUP FOR ASSISTANCE WITH YOUR PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT CLAIM
The experienced pedestrian accident lawyers at The Fran Haasch Law Group can help if you have been injured in a pedestrian accident. We will thoroughly investigate your case and fight to get you the compensation you deserve. We serve clients throughout Florida, including Palm Harbor, Clearwater, Tampa, St. Petersburg, and New Port Richey. Contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation.