If you have been injured in a truck accident, it is important to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. A St Petersburg truck accident lawyer can help you file a claim and get the compensation you deserve. Many people do not realize that they may be entitled to damages for pain and suffering, lost wages, and medical expenses.
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, our St Petersburg truck accident attorneys have years of experience helping people like you get the money they need to cover medical expenses, lost wages, and more. We are well versed in personal injury law, and we know what it takes to win a Florida truck accident claim. We are here to help you every step of the way.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Several things can cause a truck accident. Some of the most common causes include:
- Driver fatigue
- Reckless driving
- Improper loading or unloading of cargo
- Defective equipment or brakes
- Poor road conditions
If you have been injured in a truck accident, it is important to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. A St Petersburg truck accident attorney can help you determine the cause of the accident and hold the responsible party accountable.
Trucking Regulations in Florida
Trucking regulations are set at the federal level by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA.) These regulations apply to all commercial truck drivers and truck companies regardless of their state.
- Hours of service – A truck driver is limited to driving for a certain number of hours per day and week.
- Cargo securement – Cargo must be properly secured to prevent shifting during transport.
- Vehicle inspections – Trucks must be inspected regularly to comply with safety regulations. If a trucking company fails to do so, it may be held liable for the accident.
Types of Truck Accidents
There are several different types of truck accidents. Some of the most common include:
- Jackknife accidents occur when the trailer of a tractor-trailer swings out, forming a 90-degree angle with the cab.
- Rollover accidents occur when a truck overturns, either onto its side or its roof.
- Underride accidents occur when a smaller vehicle collides with the back of a tractor-trailer and becomes wedged underneath.
- Runaway accidents occur when a truck loses its brakes and careens out of control.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, it is important to seek legal assistance as soon as possible.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
Some of the most common truck accident injuries include:
- Head injuries – Head injuries are one of the most common injuries sustained in a truck accident. They can range from minor concussions to life-threatening brain injuries.
- Neck and spine injuries – Neck and spine injuries are also very common in truck accidents. These injuries can often be severe and may require extensive treatment.
- Broken bones – Broken bones are another common injury sustained in truck accidents. They can often require surgery and lengthy rehabilitation.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, it is important to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Some injuries, such as whiplash, may not show symptoms immediately.
Why Do I Need a Truck Accident Attorney?
Ideally, you should contact a law firm to hire a truck accident lawyer as soon as possible after the accident. This will allow your lawyer to begin investigating your case and gathering evidence. Our St Petersburg truck accident lawyers will thoroughly investigate your case, negotiate with the truck driver’s insurance company, and handle all paperwork so you can focus on recovering.
Filing a Truck Accident Claim
If you have been injured in a truck accident, it is important to file a claim as soon as possible. Several things need to be taken into account when filing a claim, including:
- The extent of your injuries – It is important to document your injuries and seek medical attention.
- The cause of the accident – Determining the cause of the accident makes it easier to determine who is at fault. This will make it easier to argue your case and prove negligence.
- The damages you have suffered – Keep track of all expenses related to the accident. You may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, lost wages, and medical expenses.
Liability in a Truck Accident Case
When filing a truck accident claim, it is important to determine who is liable for the accident. Several parties may be responsible, including:
The Truck Driver
If the driver fails to operate their vehicle safely and an accident occurs, they can be held liable for any damages caused.
The Trucking Company
Trucking companies are responsible for inspecting vehicles, training truck drivers, and following other federal regulations. If the trucking company fails to follow these guidelines, it can be liable for the accident.
A Third Party
In some cases, the manufacturer of a defective product that caused the accident may be held liable. In other instances in which the cargo was not properly secured, the responsible party may be the employee that loaded the cargo can be held accountable.
Comparative Negligence in Florida Truck Accidents
In Florida, comparative negligence determines who is responsible for an accident and how much compensation they will receive. If you are partially at fault for the accident, your compensation will be reduced by the percentage of fault you are found to have. For example, if you are awarded $100,000 in damages but are found to be 20% at fault for the accident, your compensation will be reduced to $80,000.
It is important to speak with a St Petersburg truck accident lawyer to learn more about comparative negligence and how it may affect your case
Florida Truck Accident Damages
When filing a truck accident claim, you may be entitled to compensation for several damages, including:
- Medical expenses – You may be able to recover the medical costs that you have incurred as a result of the accident.
- Lost wages – If you have had to miss work because of your injuries, you may be able to recover the lost wages.
- Pain and suffering – You may be able to recover damages for the pain and suffering you have endured as a result of the accident.
- Property damage – You may be able to recover the cost of repairing or replacing any property that was damaged in the accident.
What Our Truck Accident Attorneys Can Do For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we focus on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits, and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 20 years of experience, we draw on constant legal and medical research to help clients recover after being injured in motor vehicle accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
We Get You the Compensation You Deserve
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, our personal injury attorneys understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
We have obtained multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements in personal injury cases involving auto accidents and claims concerning wrongful death and catastrophic injuries.
Here are a few of our car accident case results:
- $1.8 million for our client in Pinellas County who was injured in an auto accident.
- $1.8 million for a 33-year-old female client in Hillsborough County who was lawfully stopped for a left-turning vehicle ahead when she was rear-ended by the defendant vehicle, which was then rear-ended by the vehicle behind it, causing the client to feel two impacts. This resulted in multiple back surgeries and an infection which caused the client to be hospitalized several times.
- $1.6 million for a 25-year-old female passenger on a motorcycle when the defendant cut across the client’s path. The client was thrown over 200 feet from the motorcycle. The accident resulted in a fractured leg, broken finger, back surgery, and many other injuries.
- $1.55 million for a 46-year old male in Pasco County who was stopped at a red light on U.S. Highway 19 in Pasco County and was rear-ended by the defendant at a high rate of speed.
- $1.35 million for a client in Pasco County. The defendant turned left in front of our client, causing the client’s vehicle to flip and resulting in many injuries.
- $1.34 million for a 69-year-old male client in Orange County who was in the left turn lane when the defendant came across his pathway while attempting to turn and collided with the client. The accident resulted in multiple severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken arm that required surgery, and several lacerations.
- $1.3 million for a 33-year-old female client in Pinellas County who was rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light with her three children in the car with her. The accident resulted in multiple surgeries and complications.
- $1.025 million for our client injured in a car accident in Hillsborough County.
- $1 million for a client in Hillsborough County rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney Today
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We strive to help injured individuals and the loved ones of those wrongfully killed, secure the full, fair recovery they are owed. We offer dedicated legal representation for car accident victims and bicycle, rideshare, and semi-truck accidents victims.
If you feel you have been the victim of a serious car crash through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 784-8191 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.