If you are looking for a Florida auto accident lawyer, you have come to the right place. Our legal team is dedicated to helping victims of car accidents get the compensation they deserve.
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand that being in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, and we will do everything we can to help you through this difficult time.
7 Steps to Take After a Florida Car Accident
- Stop Your Car and Call 911: The most important thing to do after a car accident is to stop your car and call 911. This will ensure that emergency personnel is alerted to the accident’s scene.
- Check for Injuries: You should also check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If injuries are present, seek medical treatment immediately.
- Move Your Car if It Is in the Way: If your car is blocking traffic, you should move it to the side of the road. This will help keep traffic flowing and avoid further accidents.
- Stay at the Scene until Help Arrives: Leaving the accident before the police arrive is considered a hit-and-run crime in Florida. Additionally, staying at the scene allows law enforcement officials to document the accident and collect evidence.
- Gather Evidence and Witness Statements: Gather as much evidence as you can. This may include pictures of the scene and damage to your car, eyewitness statements, and other evidence.
- After the accident, you might need to request an accident report. You can go to your local police department to obtain a copy or request one online from the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Offical Crash Portal.
- Contact a Florida car accident attorney at the Fran Haasch Law Group to start your claim against the liable party.
The most important thing to remember after an accident is not to admit fault. Even if you think you contributed to the accident somehow, it’s best to refrain from saying that could implicate you. Wait for a full investigation and your lawyer.
The car accident lawyers and staff at The Fran Haasch Law Group are Tampa Bay Car Accident Lawyers that work with clients across the greater gulf region, as well as those throughout the state of Florida. We have offices throughout the area ready to help those who have been injured in an accident receive the compensation that they deserve!
- Palm Harbor Car Accident Lawyers
- Clearwater Car Accident Lawyers
Types of Car Accidents
- Intersection Accidents
- Side Impact, or “T-Bone” Accidents
- Rear-End Collisions
- Head-On Collisions
- Wrong-Way Accidents
- Sideswipe Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- Single Car Accidents
Why Do I Need a Florida Car Accident Attorney?
Car Accidents Are Frequent in Florida
Getting into an accident in Florida isn’t a question of how but when. Florida ranks third with the greatest number of fatal motor vehicle accidents and the second most dangerous state for drivers.
There were 401,127 car crashes in 2021, with a car crash defined as the operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage, complaint of bodily injury, or bodily injury or death to any person. Of those crashes, 252,883 people were injured as a result, and 3,751 resulted in fatalities.
With car accidents being so frequent in the state, many people think they have a handle on their case. However, insurance companies are looking to protect their bottom line, not your best interests. This is where a Florida car accident lawyer comes in.
Your attorney will be able to review the facts of your case and help you build a strong claim. They will also negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
Some Car Accident Cases are Complex
Car accident cases can be complex, and they often involve multiple parties. If you were in an accident with a commercial vehicle, such as a truck or bus, you would need an experienced car accident lawyer to help you navigate the legal process.
These types of accidents often result in serious injuries or even death. You will need a Florida auto accident attorney who is familiar with commercial vehicle laws and knows how to build a strong case.
Florida is a No-Fault Insurance State
Unlike most other states, drivers in Florida are not required to have bodily injury liability (BIL) insurance. Most states require this to cover the costs of injuries that drivers cause another person in the event of an auto accident, and it serves to protect drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians.
In Florida, all drivers are required to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. PIP insurance covers the costs of medical treatment and lost wages after a car accident. Under this system, PIP insurance will cover 80% of your medical bills up to $10,000 and 60% of lost wages. Once your auto medical bill insurances are tapped out, your health insurance will assume responsibility.
This system often makes it difficult for car accident victims to get the compensation they deserve. Since BIL isn’t required, many people don’t carry it, making it more likely that you will be involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you may be able to file a car accident claim with your own insurance company.
The Insurance Company May Try to Deny Your Claim
Insurance companies are sneaky and don’t have your best interest in mind. After a car accident, an insurance company usually assigns an insurance adjuster to investigate the claim. They’ll call you to ask questions about the accident and try to get you to settle for less than you deserve.
Having an experienced personal injury lawyer is the best way to ensure you are not being taken advantage of by insurance companies. Their goal is to protect you from the tactics insurance companies use to lowball victims and deny claims.
You deserve to have the peace of mind of knowing that an insurance settlement will amply pay for your medical expenses and lost wages.
Comparative Negligence Is an Important Factor in Car Accident Claims
In Florida, comparative negligence is a defense that can be used to reduce the amount of damages you are awarded. This defense says that if you were partially at fault for the accident, your damages would be reduced by the percentage of fault attributed to you.
For example, if you are found to be 20% at fault for an accident, any damages you are awarded will be reduced by 20%.
Having a lawyer in a case where comparative negligence is vital. They will be able to investigate the accident and build a strong case to prove that you were not at fault or that your percentage of fault is low.
You Shouldn’t Have to Worry About the Legal Process
After an accident, the last thing you should have to worry about is the legal process. You should be focused on your recovery. That’s why it’s important to have an experienced car accident lawyer on your side.
Your lawyer will handle all the legal details of your case so you can focus on your recovery. They will also update you on your case status and answer any questions you have along the way.
You May Be Entitled to More Than You Realize
After an accident, you may be entitled to more than you realize. Most accident victims don’t consider the full extent of their injuries when they calculate their damages. After an accident, you may not only be trying to recover from your injuries, but you may also face:
- Lost wages due to time in the hospital.
- The inability to return to work.
- Ongoing medical and rehabilitation costs.
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
An experienced car accident lawyer will be familiar with the types of damages you may be entitled to and will fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
You Have a Limited Amount of Time to File Your Claim
It’s important to remember that you have a limited amount of time to file and settle your claim. In Florida, you have four years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim. You will likely be barred from recovery if you don’t file your claim within this time frame.
What The Fran Haasch Law Group Florida Car Accident Lawyers Will Do For You
Help You Gather Evidence
The first thing our lawyers will do is help you gather evidence. We will request medical records, accident reports, and any other relevant information. We will also interview witnesses and collect photographs of the accident scene.
Hire Experts to Help Prove Your Claim
Some personal injury claims require the assistance of experts to help prove negligence. We will hire experts to help prove your claim. This may include accident deconstructionists, medical experts, and life-care planners. These experts can help us prove the full extent of your injuries and damages.
Take Your Case to Trial If Necessary
Most personal injury cases are settled outside of court. However, in some cases, the insurance company is unwilling to offer a fair settlement or any settlement at all. If that is the case, we will take your case to trial.
Help You Recover Compensation
Car crashes often result in various expenses. From medical bills to lost wages and, in some cases, pain and suffering, you should not have to bear the burden of these costs. Our ultimate goal is to get you the compensation you deserve.
Economic Damages in a personal injury claim
If you’ve been injured in a Florida auto accident, you are entitled to claim economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages you may qualify to pursue include:
- Medical expenses (both current and future)
- Lost wages (both current and future)
- Property damage
None of these damages may be available if you wait too long to file a claim, so it’s important to contact an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
In addition to economic damages, you may also be able to recover non-economic damages. These are more difficult to quantify but can significantly impact your life. Non-economic damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of quality of life due to disability
- Disfigurement and scarring
Punitive Damages Are Available in Some Cases
In some cases, you may also be able to recover punitive damages. Punitive damages are designed to punish the other driver for their negligence and are not available in every case. The personal injury attorneys at the Fran Haasch Law Group can help you determine if you have a reasonable basis to bring a punitive damage claim.
We fight to maximize the amount our clients are awarded and to punish wrongdoers when necessary.
Wrongful Death Damages
If you have lost a loved one in a car accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim. A wrongful death claim is different from a personal injury claim in that it seeks damages for the loss of your loved one rather than for your own injuries.
The damages available in a wrongful death claim may include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of companionship
We understand that no amount of money can bring your loved one back, but we will fight for the maximum compensation available to help you through this difficult time. Additionally, the statute of limitations on wrongful death in Florida is only two years, not four years like auto accident claims.
Our Lawyers Have the Experience Necessary to Win Your Case
The Fran Haasch Law Group focuses on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 20 years of experience, we draw on constant medical and legal research to help clients recover after being injured in auto accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
Car Accident Settlements We’ve Secured For Our Clients
We understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
We have obtained multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements in cases involving auto accidents, as well as claims concerning wrongful death and catastrophic injuries. Here are a few of our case results:
- $1.8 million for our client in Pinellas County who was injured in a car accident
- $1.8 million for a 33-year-old female client in Hillsborough County who was lawfully stopped for a left-turning vehicle ahead when she was rear-ended by the defendant vehicle, which was then rear-ended by the vehicle behind it, causing the client to feel two impacts. This resulted in multiple back surgeries and an infection which caused the client to be hospitalized several times.
- $1.6 million for a 25-year-old female passenger on a motorcycle when the defendant cut across the client’s path. The client was thrown over 200 feet from the motorcycle. The accident resulted in a fractured leg, broken finger, back surgery, and many other injuries.
- $1.55 million for a 46-year old male in Pasco County who was stopped at a red light on U.S. Highway 19 in Pasco County and was rear-ended by the defendant at a high rate of speed.
- $1.35 million for a client in Pasco County. The defendant turned left in front of our client, causing the client’s vehicle to flip and resulting in many injuries.
- $1.34 million for a 69-year-old male client in Orange County who was in the left turn lane when the defendant came across his pathway while attempting to turn and collided with the client. The accident resulted in multiple severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken arm that required surgery, and several lacerations.
- $1.3 million for a 33-year-old female client in Pinellas County who was rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light with her three children in the car with her. The accident resulted in multiple surgeries and complications.
- $1.025 for our client injured in a car accident in Hillsborough County.
- $1 million for a client in Hillsborough County rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
Questions to Expect During Your Car Accident Case Review
During your case review, our attorneys will ask you questions about the accident and your injuries. We may also ask about:
- What happened leading up to the accident?
- How did the accident happen?
- What injuries did you suffer in the accident?
- Have you seen a doctor or other medical provider for your injuries?
- What expenses have you incurred as a result of the accident?
- Have you missed any time from work because of your injuries?
You should also be prepared to answer questions about the other driver, including their name, contact information, and insurance information.
Florida Car Accident Attorneys Who Fight For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We strive to help injured individuals and the loved ones of those wrongfully killed, secure the full, fair recovery they are owed. We offer dedicated legal representation for car accident victims and victims of bicycle, rideshare, and semi-truck accidents.
If you feel you have been the victim of a car accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 784-8191 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.