If you’re a Florida driver, you likely have questions about car insurance. A car owner’s insurance policy determines what is covered in an accident. In Florida, drivers must show proof of two types of car insurance before they register their vehicles. The applicable insurance policy determines what and who is covered.
If you have been injured in a car accident and want to know what your auto policy covers for a car accident claim. Contact an experienced auto accident attorney today. At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we will help you determine if your losses are covered and work to secure the full compensation you are owed.
Types of Auto Insurance Coverage Options
Personal Injury Protection Insurance (PIP) Coverage
PIP pays for the following:
- Medical expenses (including ambulatory services, hospitalization, rehabilitation, and prosthetics)
- Funeral expenses (up to $5000)
- Lost wages
- Replacement services (childcare, housekeeping, and yard work)
- Other necessary expenses (mileage to and from medical appointments)
It is important to note PIP does not cover the following:
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Disfigurement or scarring
Property Damage Liability Insurance (PDL) Coverage
Property Damage Liability coverage is insurance that covers damages to someone else’s car and property or if someone else is driving your vehicle. This can include their car, home, or other personal belongings. PDL is required in Florida.
Comprehensive Auto Coverage
Comprehensive auto coverage is insurance that covers damages to your car that are not caused by an accident. This can include damage from weather, theft, vandalism, or glass breakage. Comprehensive auto coverage is not required in Florida, but it is recommended.
Collision coverage is insurance that covers damages to your car from an accident. Collision coverage is not required in Florida, but it is recommended.
Collision coverage pays for the following:
- Damage from an accident
- Hitting another car
- Hitting a stationary object
- Flipping your car
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) coverage is insurance that covers your injuries from an accident caused by a driver who does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance. UM/UIM is not required in Florida, but it is recommended.
- Damage from the weather (e.g., hail, flooding, hurricanes)
- Glass breakage
UM/UIM pays for the following:
- Damage from an accident caused by an uninsured driver
- Damage from an accident caused by a driver who does not have enough insurance
If you have any further questions about car insurance in Florida, contact an insurance agent. They will be able to provide you with more specific information about your auto insurance policy.
Adding Other Drivers to Your Policy
If you need to include another driver in your policy, contact your insurance company. They will be able to provide you with more specific information about adding a driver to your policy.
Does Insurance Cover the Car or the Driver If Another Person is Driving My Car?
If you are not in the car at the time of the accident, your insurance company will still be responsible for any damages. However, your car insurance premiums will rise, even if you weren’t the one who caused the accident.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
There are a few things you should do after a car accident:
- Call the police
- Take pictures of the damage
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver
- Get the contact information of any witnesses
- Do not admit fault to anyone
After you have done all of these things, contact your insurance company. They will be able to help you file a claim and get the process started. It is also best to contact an experienced car accident lawyer. They will help you file your insurance claim, negotiate with insurance companies, and, if necessary, file a lawsuit.
What is the Statute of Limitations for Filing a Car Accident Claim?
The statute of limitations is the time frame in which you must file a lawsuit. In Florida, the statute of limitations for car accident claims is two years from the accident date. If you do not file a lawsuit within this time frame, you may be barred from bringing a claim.
An experienced attorney can help you navigate the car accident claims process and ensure that your rights are protected. If you have been involved in a car accident, contact an experienced attorney today to discuss your case.
What The Fran Haasch Law Group Can Do For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we focus on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits, and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 21 years of experience, we draw on constant medical research to help clients recover after being injured in auto accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
We Get You the Compensation You Deserve
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
We have obtained multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements for personal injury cases involving auto accidents, as well as claims concerning wrongful death and catastrophic injuries.
Here are a few of our car accident case results:
- $1.8 million for our client in Pinellas County who was injured in a car accident
- $1.8 million for a 33-year-old female client in Hillsborough County who was lawfully stopped for a left-turning vehicle ahead when she was rear-ended by the defendant vehicle, which was then rear-ended by the vehicle behind it, causing the client to feel two impacts. This resulted in multiple back surgeries and an infection which caused the client to be hospitalized several times.
- $1.6 million for a 25-year-old female passenger on a motorcycle when the defendant cut across the client’s path. The client was thrown over 200 feet from the motorcycle. The accident resulted in a fractured leg, broken finger, back surgery, and many other injuries.
- $1.55 million for a 46-year old male in Pasco County who was stopped at a red light on U.S. Highway 19 in Pasco County and was rear-ended by the defendant at a high rate of speed.
- $1.35 million for a client in Pasco County. The defendant turned left in front of our client, causing the client’s vehicle to flip and resulting in many injuries.
- $1.34 million for a 69-year-old male client in Orange County who was in the left turn lane when the defendant came across his pathway while attempting to turn and collided with the client. The accident resulted in multiple severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken arm that required surgery, and several lacerations.
- $1.3 million for a 33-year-old female client in Pinellas County who was rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light with her three children in the car with her. The accident resulted in multiple surgeries and complications.
- $1.025 for our client injured in a car accident in Hillsborough County.
- $1.0 million for a client in Hillsborough County rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We strive to help injured individuals and the loved ones of those wrongfully killed, secure the full, fair recovery they are owed. We offer dedicated legal representation for car accident victims and victims of bicycle, rideshare, and semi-truck accidents.
If you feel you have been the victim of a car accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 784-8191 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.