If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, it is important to contact a Florida motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. These accidents can be very serious, and it is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side who understands the law and can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Fran Haasch Law Group has supported the biker community in Tampa Bay and its surrounding areas for over 20 years. Our legal team has helped motorcycle accident victims get the money they need to cover medical expenses, lost wages, and more. Contact one of our motorcycle accident attorneys today for a free case evaluation.
5 Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, there are some important steps you should take:
- Get medical attention: Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s important to get checked out by a medical professional. Some injuries, such as internal bleeding, may not be immediately apparent.
- Gather evidence: If you can, take pictures of the accident scene and get the contact information of any witnesses. This evidence can be beneficial in building your case.
- Do not give a statement to the other driver’s insurance company: Insurance companies are not on your side and will often use anything you say against you. Wait to give a statement until you have spoken with an attorney.
- Keep track of your expenses: Be sure to keep track of any medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses related to the accident. This will be important when it comes time to file a claim.
- Contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer: As we mentioned above, motorcycle accidents can be severe, often resulting in serious injuries. An experienced lawyer will understand the law and know how to get you the compensation you deserve.
The motorcycle accident lawyers and staff at The Fran Haasch Law Group are Tampa Bay Motorcycle Accident Lawyers that work with clients across the greater gulf region, as well as those throughout the state of Florida. We have offices throughout the area ready to help those who have been injured in an accident receive the compensation that they deserve!
- Palm Harbor Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Tampa Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Motorcycle Crashes are Common in Florida
If you’re an avid biker in Florida, chances are you know someone who has been involved in a motorcycle accident. In fact, Florida is one of the most dangerous states for motorcyclists. In 2021, there were 8,638 motorcycle crashes in Florida, according to Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), with 593 of those resulting in a fatality.
Between 2018 and 2020, there was an average of 447 motorcycle crashes each year, including 23 fatalities and 394 injuries.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Florida
Many factors can contribute to a motorcycle accident. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in Florida include:
Driver Negligence is Common in Motorcycle Accidents
Driver negligence is the most common cause of motorcycle accidents. Motorists often fail to see motorcyclists, or they may be distracted and not pay attention to the road. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Texting while driving
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Making an improper lane change
- Following too closely behind a motorcycle
- Failure to check blind spots
- Failure to use turn signals
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Unsafe lane changes
Vehicle Manufacturer or Design Defects
In some cases, a motorcycle accident may be caused by a defect in the bike itself. This could be due to a manufacturing error or poor design. Examples of defects that could cause an accident include:
- Brake failure
- Tire blowouts
- Faulty steering
- Structural problems with the frame or body of the motorcycle
- If a motorcycle is not properly maintained, it could cause an accident. For example, if the bike’s brakes are not working properly, it could lead to a crash.
- Other examples of maintenance defects include:
- Worn tires
- Faulty lights or signals
- Leaks or fluid spills
- Improperly inflated tires
The Dangers of Road Debris for Motorcycle Riders
Accidents caused by road debris are less common than other types of motorcycle accidents, but they can be just as dangerous. Road debris may include:
- Tire Pieces
- Construction debris
- Grass clippings
- Falling dirt and rock from dump trucks
Accidents caused by road debris are extremely complex. Drivers and vehicle owners that cause hazardous debris conditions on state roads are responsible for damages resulting from their negligence. However, certain debris such as tire treads or a mattress may obstruct traffic for a while before FDOT receives notice and can remove it. Unfortunately, this means motorcyclists who crash into these objects may never find the responsible party.
Other Dangerous Road Conditions
Occasionally, an accident may be caused by other dangerous road conditions. This could include faulty traffic signals, improperly marked construction, inadequate lane markings, or poor drainage.
If you were injured in an accident due to dangerous road conditions, you might be able to file a claim against the government entity responsible for maintaining the road.
Why Do I Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
Motorcycle accidents are stressful enough, and the last thing you want to deal with is fighting for the compensation you deserve. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can handle all the details of your case so you can focus on healing from your injuries.
Insurance Companies Are Not on Your Side
Insurance companies are for-profit businesses and will often try to minimize the amount of money they have to pay out. An experienced lawyer will know how to deal with insurance companies and fight for the compensation you deserve.
The Statute of Limitations for Motorcycle Accident Cases
The statute of limitations for personal injury cases in Florida is four years. This means you have four years from the date of the accident to file or settle a claim. If you wait too long, you could miss your chance to get the money you deserve.
This is especially important in motorcycle accident cases, as it can often take months or even years to fully recover from injuries. It is important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible so they can begin working on your case.
Motorcycle Riders Are More Likely to Suffer Serious Injuries
Because motorcycle riders are not protected by a metal frame, seatbelts, and airbags, they are more likely to suffer serious injuries in an accident. Many motorcyclists leave an accident with broken bones, road rash, and other serious injuries.
These injuries can be very costly in terms of medical bills and lost wages. A good lawyer will fight to get you the compensation you need to cover these costs.
No-Fault Insurance Does Not Cover Motorcycle Accidents
In Florida, a no-fault insurance law requires all drivers to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. This insurance is supposed to cover your medical expenses and lost wages regardless of who was at fault for the accident.
However, this law does not apply to motorcycle riders. This means that if you are in a motorcycle accident, you will not be able to file a claim with your own insurance company unless you have MedPay or UM/UIM coverage on your policy.
Florida also doesn’t require drivers to carry bodily injury insurance (BIL), so the chances of being involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver are likely. Because motorcyclists aren’t required to carry traditional forms of insurance, it’s unlikely they have an uninsured/underinsured motorist policy to help them cover expenses.
A lawyer will help you navigate the often-complex world of insurance claims and get the money you need to cover your damages.
Filing a Claim or Lawsuit Is Not as Scary as It Sounds
If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident, you may be hesitant to file a claim or lawsuit. But it’s important to know that filing a lawsuit is not as scary or complicated as it may seem.
An experienced lawyer will handle all the details of your case, including filing the paperwork, communicating with the insurance companies, and going to court if necessary. You shouldn’t have to worry about any legal details – that’s what we’re here for.
Filing Motorcycle Accident Claims in Florida
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit to recover compensation for your damages.
To file a successful claim, you will need to prove that the other party was at fault for the accident. This can be done by showing that the other driver was negligent or that the road conditions were dangerous.
If you are successful in your claim, you may be able to recover compensation for damages such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Evidence You Can Use to Prove Negligence in a Motorcycle Accident Claim:
- Police reports – You might need to request an accident report. You can visit your local police department to obtain a copy or request one online from the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Offical Crash Portal. Police reports can help with a claim prior to litigation, but are not admissable once litigation has begun.
- Witness statements – If there were any witnesses to the accident, you should get their contact information to have them testify on your behalf.
- Pictures of the accident scene – Taking pictures of the accident scene can help prove how the accident happened.
- Medical records – Documentation of your motorcycle accident injuries and treatment will be necessary for proving the extent of your damages.
- Bills and receipts for medical treatment – You will need to keep track of all of your medical expenses to recover compensation for them.
Compensation Available in a Motorcycle Accident Claim
If you are successful in your motorcycle accident claim, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Punitive damages are available in rare cases where the defendant’s actions were particularly reckless or egregious.
Additionally, if you have lost a loved one in a motorcycle crash, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim. This claim can help surviving family members recover damages such as funeral and burial expenses, loss of companionship, and more. It should be noted that the statute of limitations on wrongful death cases in Florida is only two years, versus four years for other personal injury claims.
Why You Should Choose Our Florida Motorcycle Accident Lawyers to Represent You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we focus on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits, and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 21 years of experience, we draw on constant legal and medical research to help clients recover after being injured in auto accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
We Care About the Biker Community in Florida
At the Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand how devastating a motorcycle accident can be. We have helped many bikers recover the compensation they need to get their life back on track. We’re involved with several motorcycle-based magazines, we keep up with events for Florida bikers, and we’re proud sponsors of many local clubs.
Our law firm understands what it’s like to share the road with negligent drivers because personal injury law isn’t just one of our practice areas–we’re avid bikers ourselves. We take getting justice for our clients seriously, and we back down from no insurance company.
Settlements We’ve Obtained For Our Clients
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
We have obtained multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements in cases involving Florida motorcycle accidents as well as claims concerning wrongful death and catastrophic injuries. Here are a few of our motorcycle accident case results:
- $5.01 million for a 33-year-old male killed in Pasco County. The defendant’s driver turned left in front of him. Our client was driving his motorcycle and died shortly after being transported to the hospital. This case involved heavily contested liability. The amount reflects the total available insurance.
- $4 million for a 44-year-old male in Pinellas County who was riding his motorcycle when the defendant initiated a left turn across the client’s pathway, causing a collision, ejecting him off of the motorcycle, and resulting in a leg amputation.
- $3.01 for a male motorcycle driver in Pinellas County who was severely injured when the defendant made an illegal u-turn in front of him. The amount reflects the total available insurance.
- $2.4 for a client injured in a motorcycle accident in Citrus County.
- $2.33 million for our client injured in a motorcycle accident in Pasco County.
- $1.5 million for a wrongful death motorcycle accident case in Pasco County.
- $1.494 million for a 33-year-old female in Pinellas County whose right of way was violated by the defendant.
- $1.2 million for a 30-year-old male client in Hillsborough County who was riding his motorcycle when the defendant ran a stop sign causing the client to strike her vehicle, resulting in multiple fractures and leaving the client in a wheelchair for three months following the accident.
Our Florida Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Are Ready to Fight For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we support the Tampa Bay biker community personally and professionally. We understand personal injury law for motorcyclists and have committed to protecting motorcycle rider rights.
We have handled numerous motorcycle accident claims in Clearwater, Palm Harbor, and Tampa and know insurance companies’ strategies to avoid rewarding full compensation.
If you feel you have been the victim of a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 784-8191 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.