Car Accident Attorney Tampa, FL
A car crash can do a lot of damage to you physically, emotionally, and financially. If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to speak with a Tampa car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Contact The Fran Haasch Law Group today. We have experience handling a variety of Tampa car crashes and can help you get the justice you deserve. We also have experience representing accident victims in Lutz, Brandon, Riverview, and the greater Lakeland area.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Tampa?
Motor vehicle accidents are common in Tampa. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were over 28,000 car accidents in Hillsborough County in 2021. In addition, there were over 18,000 injuries and over 270 fatalities as a result of these accidents.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Tampa
Most auto accidents are caused by driver negligence. Other factors that can contribute to car accidents in Tampa include:
- Distracted driving occurs when a driver is not paying attention to the road. This can be caused by texting, talking on the phone, eating, and drinking. Distracted driving can lead to severe injuries and even death.
- Drunk driving is when a driver operates a vehicle while impaired by alcohol. Drunk drivers can cause serious accidents and injuries.
- Reckless driving occurs when a driver operates a vehicle in an unsafe manner. This can include speeding, tailgating, and weaving in and out of traffic.
What Are The Most Common Car Accident Injuries?
- Whiplash – Whiplash is a type of injury that occurs when the head and neck are suddenly jerked back and forth. This can cause damage to the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in the neck. Whiplash can lead to pain, stiffness, headaches, and dizziness.
- Concussions – A concussion is a head injury that can occur when the head is hit or shaken. Concussions can cause various symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, nausea, and memory loss.
- Broken Bones – Broken bones are common injuries in car accidents. They can occur when you are hit by a car or collide with another object. Broken bones can cause pain, swelling, and difficulty moving the injured area.
- Spinal Cord Injury – Spinal cord injuries are serious injuries when the spinal cord is damaged. This can lead to a loss of sensation and movement in the body. Spinal cord injuries can be life-altering and require lifelong care.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – A blow to the head causes traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can be life-altering and require long-term care. In addition, they can lead to various symptoms, including headaches, nausea, confusion, and memory loss.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
If you have been involved in a car wreck in Tampa, there are several things that you should do.
- Stop Your Car and Call 911 – The first thing you should do after a car accident is stop your car and call 911. This will ensure that emergency personnel is alerted to the accident scene.
- Check for Injuries – You should also check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If injuries are present, seek medical treatment immediately.
- Move Your Car if It Is in the Way – If your car is blocking traffic, you should move it to the side of the road. This will help keep traffic flowing and avoid further accidents.
- Stay at the Scene until Help Arrives – You should stay at the scene of the accident until help arrives. This will allow law enforcement officials to document the accident and collect evidence.
- File an Accident Report With The Police – You should also file an accident report with the police. This will help document the accident, but may not be used as evidence in court.
- Gather Evidence and Witness Statements – To file a successful car accident claim, you will need evidence and witness statements. This includes pictures of the scene and damages to your car, eyewitness statements, and other evidence.
- Call Your Insurance Company –You should contact your insurance company as soon as possible after an accident. This will allow them to start investigating the accident and determine if they will be covering your damages.
- Contact a Tampa Car Accident Attorney – If you have been injured in a car accident, you should contact a Tampa auto accident lawyer. Car accident attorneys help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. They will gather evidence and file a claim on your behalf.
What Should I Say to Law Enforcement Officers?
If you are involved in a car accident, it is important to cooperate with law enforcement officers. You should provide your name, address, and driver’s license number. You should also answer any questions that the officers have.
It is important not to admit fault after a car accident. The Tampa police will decide who was at fault after their investigation.
How Do I File a Police Report?
If you are involved in a car accident, you should file a police report. You can do this by going to the nearest police station or calling 911. The police will ask for information about the accident, including the date, time, and location. They will also need information about each driver involved in the accident and any witnesses.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa?
Most Tampa car accident lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. This means that you do not have to pay any fees until your case is settled.
What Tampa Car Accident Attorneys Can Do for You
A car accident lawyer in Tampa will do several things for you, including:
- Notify You of Your Rights – Your lawyer will advise you on your rights and help you make the best decisions for your case.
- Gather Evidence – An experienced auto accident attorney will gather evidence to support your claim. This evidence may include witness statements, photos of the accident scene, and medical records.
- File a Claim – A lawyer will file a claim on your behalf and work with the insurance company to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Represent You in Court – If necessary, a lawyer will represent you in court and fight for your rights.
- Get You Money for Your Injuries –A Tampa auto accident attorney will do everything possible to get you money for your injuries. This may include negotiating a settlement or taking the case to court.
Elements of a Car Accident Case in Tampa
Several elements must be present for an automobile accident case to succeed in Tampa. These include:
- Negligent driving
- You were injured as a result of the accident
- The injuries you sustained were significant
- Any pre-existing condition did not cause your injuries
Florida Car Accident Laws
In Florida, several laws apply to car accidents. These laws include:
- Comparative Negligence – Under HB 837, Florida switched from a pure comparative fault system to a “greater percentage of fault” system in March 2023. This means that if a party is found to be greater than 50% at fault for their own harm, they are barred from recovering any damages.
- No-Fault Insurance – Florida is a no-fault state, which means that each driver is responsible for their own injuries and damage regardless of who was at fault in the accident.
Who Is Responsible For My Medical Bills?
First, it’s important to determine whether or not your case falls under Florida’s no-fault insurance system. If your case falls under this no-fault system, then your injury protection insurance will cover at least part of your expenses.
Personal Injury Protection Insurance (PIP) – In Florida, all drivers are required to carry PIP insurance. PIP insurance covers the costs of medical treatment and lost wages after a car crash. Under this system, PIP insurance will cover 80% of your medical bills up to $10,000 and 60% of lost wages. Your health insurance will assume responsibility once your auto medical bill insurances are tapped out.
What If I’m Not At Fault?
If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident with an at-fault driver, you can bring a claim against the other driver.
How Can You Prove Fault in a Car Accident Case?
To prove fault in a car accident case, the plaintiff must show that the defendant was negligent.
Negligence is defined as the failure to exercise a reasonable standard of care. To prove negligence, the plaintiff must show:
- The defendant owed a duty of care to the plaintiff
- The defendant breached this duty of care
- The plaintiff was injured as a result of the breach
What is Pure Comparative Fault?
Florida has a pure comparative fault rule. This legal doctrine allows plaintiffs to recover damages even if they are partially at fault for the accident.
How does Pure Comparative Fault work?
Under pure comparative fault, the plaintiff’s damages are reduced by their percentage of fault. For example, if the plaintiff is 50% at fault for the accident, then they will only receive 50% of the damages.
What If the Other Driver Is Uninsured?
If the other driver is uninsured, you may be able to file a claim against your own insurance company. Your car accident lawyer can help you determine if this is an option and negotiate with your insurance company on your behalf.
Can I Sue for Pain and Suffering After a Tampa Car Accident?
You might be able to sue for pain and suffering after a car accident if you were injured due to another driver’s negligence. In this case, you would ask for pain and suffering from the accident proportional to your injuries. A Tampa car accident lawyer can help you determine if you have a case and negotiate with your insurer on your behalf.
How Much Money Can I Sue for After a Car Accident?
The amount of money you can sue for after a car accident depends on the damages you have suffered. Tampa Car accident lawyers will negotiate with the insurer on your behalf to get you the best possible settlement.
What Can I Do To Help My Case?
There are several things car accident victims can do to help their case if they have been involved in a motor vehicle accident.
First, make sure you document everything. This includes taking pictures of the accident scene, recording any witnesses’ names and contact information, and keeping track of all medical expenses.
Second, do not sign anything from the insurance company without talking to an attorney first. They may try to get you to sign a release or waiver that waives your rights to sue.
Third, speak with an experienced Tampa car accident lawyer as soon as possible. A lawyer can help you file a claim and negotiate with the insurance company.
Common Tampa Car Accidents We Can Help You With
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we have experience handling a variety of Tampa car accidents. Some common examples include:
- Rear-end collisions occur when the front end of one vehicle crashes into the back end of another.
- Side-swipe accidents occur when the side of one vehicle collides with the side of another. These accidents are often caused by driver negligence and can result in life-threatening injuries.
- Head-on collisions happen when the front ends of two vehicles collide.
- T-bone accident is a type of auto accident that occurs when the front end of one vehicle collides with the side.
- Intersection Accidents usually happen when a driver fails to yield the right of way or ignore traffic signals. Tampa and its surrounding areas have numerous dangerous intersections.
Hit and Run Accidents
A hit and run is a type of auto accident that occurs when the driver of one vehicle collides with another vehicle and then leaves the scene without providing information or rendering aid.
Is it worth getting a Tampa car accident attorney for a hit and run?
Yes, it is worth getting a car accident attorney for a hit and run. Even if the damages are minimal, you may still be able to file a claim.
What if the other driver is uninsured and I can’t find them?
If the other driver is uninsured and you can’t find them, you may be able to file a claim against your insurer. Your Tampa car accident lawyer can help you determine if this is an option and guide you through the process.
What Type of Damages Can I Recover?
There are several types of damages that you may be able to recover in an auto accident case.
- Medical expenses include medical bills relating to treatment and care, including current and future medical bills.
- Lost wages – If you are out of work for any amount of time after the accident, you may be able to recover lost wages.
- Pain and suffering – This includes the physical and emotional pain and anguish you have suffered as a result of your injuries.
- Property damage – This includes the cost to repair or replace any property damaged in the accident.
Can I Sue the Other Driver If I Wasn’t Injured?
In some car accident cases, you may be able to sue the other driver if you were not injured in the accident. This usually happens when there was significant property damage caused by the accident.
Can I File a Wrongful Death Claim?
If a loved one has died as a result of a car accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim. A wrongful death claim can compensate for medical expenses, funeral and burial expenses, pain and suffering, and more.
How Soon Should I Contact a Tampa Car Accident Attorney?
An experienced lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. You should contact an auto accident attorney as soon as possible after an accident. This will allow them to start investigating the accident and gathering evidence.
How Long Do I Have To File A Lawsuit in Florida?
In Florida, car accident victims have four years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. However, it is important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible so that they can begin investigating the case and preserving evidence.
Dealing with Insurance Companies
When you are involved in a car accident, you will likely have to deal with the driver’s insurance company in the other car. It is important to remember that they are not on your side and will likely try to pay you as little money as possible.
You should never speak to insurance companies without first talking to a lawyer. A Tampa car accident attorney can help you negotiate with them and ensure that you receive a fair settlement.
What Is The Average Settlement for a Car Accident in Tampa, Florida?
The average settlement for an auto accident in Florida is about $15,000. However, the amount you receive will vary depending on the extent of your injuries and the damages suffered. If you sustain serious injuries, the average settlement may go up.
How Long Does It Take to Settle a Car Accident Case?
It usually takes about six months to settle an auto accident case. However, this can vary depending on the complexity of the case and the amount of evidence that needs to be collected.
Contact The Tampa Car Accident Lawyers at The Fran Haasch Law Group Today
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to speak with our qualified Tampa car accident lawyers as soon as possible. An experienced car accident lawyer can help you file a claim and negotiate with the liable party.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us today. At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we have experience handling a variety of Tampa car accidents and will fight for you to receive the compensation you deserve.