A car accident can be a traumatic experience, and if you are injured, the aftermath can be even more difficult. A common injury car accident victims suffer from is a traumatic brain injury, often caused by a head injury sustained during the accident.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence, contact a car accident lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand your rights and options, guide you through the legal process, and represent you in negotiations or court proceedings. In addition, they will work to get you a fair settlement for your injuries and other losses.
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we have years of experience helping car accident victims get the money they need to rebuild their lives. We know how to fight for our clients, and we will do everything possible to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free case review.
What is Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)?
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is damage to the brain that occurs when an external force causes the brain to collide with the skull or penetrate the skull. This can happen when a person is involved in a car accident, falls, or is hit in the head with an object. TBI can also occur when the brain is deprived of oxygen, as in a near-drowning experience.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries
A traumatic brain injury may happen in two ways.
- Open Head Injuries – An open head injury is a type of TBI in which an object penetrates the skull and damages the brain. This can happen in car accidents when a person is hit in the head with a sharp object.
- Closed Head Injuries – A closed head injury is a type of TBI in which the skull is not penetrated, but the brain is still damaged. This is caused by a rapid forward or backward movement that shakes the brain inside the skull leading to bruising and tearing of brain tissue and blood vessels.
Diffuse Axonal Injury
Diffuse axonal injury (DAI) is the tearing of the brain’s axons. This occurs when the brain is injured as it shifts and rotates inside the skull. DAI usually causes a coma and injury to different parts of the brain.
Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs)
A mild traumatic brain injury, also known as a concussion, is the most common type of TBI. Most people with TBI recover within a few days or weeks. However, some people may experience long-term effects from a TBI, such as problems with memory and concentration or mood swings.
Moderate to Severe Traumatic Brain Injuries
A moderate to severe traumatic brain injury can cause brain swelling and often damage the brain cells. People with moderate to severe TBI may require hospitalization and take weeks or months to recover. Some people with severe TBI may never fully recover and often require lifelong care.
The symptoms of car accident brain injuries can vary, depending on the severity of the injury. Mild symptoms may include:
- Difficulty concentrating
Symptoms of a moderate to severe brain injury may include:
- Blurred vision
- Weakness in the arms or legs
- Slurred speech
How are Car Accident Brain Injuries Diagnosed?
Car accident brain injuries can be diagnosed through a variety of methods, including computed tomography (CT) scans, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans, and electroencephalogram (EEGs).
Treatment for Car Accident Brain Injuries
There is no one-size-fits-all treatment for car accident brain injuries. Treatment may include medication, surgery, physical therapy, or speech therapy. Some people with severe TBI may require lifelong care.
Long-Term Complications of a Brain Injury
- Degenerative Brain Diseases – Degenerative brain diseases cause the brain to lose its function gradually. Degenerative brain diseases include Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. People who have suffered a brain injury are at an increased risk of developing these diseases.
- Cognitive Problems – Cognitive problems are difficulties with thinking and reasoning. People with cognitive problems may have trouble remembering things, paying attention, solving problems, or making decisions. Cognitive problems can interfere with a person’s ability to live independently and perform everyday activities.
- Memory Problems – Memory problems are difficulties remembering information, names, faces, or what happened during the accident. Memory problems can be caused by various factors, including the force of the impact, the direction of the impact, and the type of object that is struck. Memory problems can also be caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain.
If you or a loved one has suffered a car accident brain injury, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Early diagnosis and treatment can help improve the chances of a full recovery.
Can I Sue for a Brain Injury From A Car Accident?
If you have suffered a brain injury from a car accident, you may be able to sue the person or company responsible for your injuries. It is important to speak with an attorney to determine whether you have a case.
What The Fran Haasch Law Group Can Do For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we focus on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits, and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 21 years of experience, we draw on constant legal research to help clients recover after being injured in auto accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
The Value of Your Personal Injury Claim
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
We have obtained multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements in cases involving auto accidents, as well as claims concerning wrongful death and catastrophic injuries. Here are some of our case results:
- $1.8 million for our client in Pinellas County who was injured in a car accident.
- $1.8 million for a 33-year-old female client in Hillsborough County who was lawfully stopped for a left-turning vehicle ahead when she was rear-ended by the defendant vehicle, which was then rear-ended by the vehicle behind it, causing the client to feel two impacts. This resulted in multiple back surgeries and an infection which caused the client to be hospitalized several times.
- $1.6 million for a 25-year-old female passenger on a motorcycle when the defendant cut across the client’s path. The client was thrown over 200 feet from the motorcycle. The accident resulted in a fractured leg, broken finger, back surgery, and many other injuries.
- $1.55 million for a 46-year old male in Pasco County who was stopped at a red light on U.S. Highway 19 in Pasco County and was rear-ended by the defendant at a high rate of speed.
- $1.35 million for a client in Pasco County. The defendant turned left in front of our client, causing the client’s vehicle to flip and resulting in many injuries.
- $1.34 million for a 69-year-old male client in Orange County who was in the left turn lane when the defendant came across his pathway while attempting to turn and collided with the client. The accident resulted in multiple severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken arm that required surgery, and several lacerations.
- $1.3 million for a 33-year-old female client in Pinellas County who was rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light with her three children in the car with her. The accident resulted in multiple surgeries and complications.
- $1.025 million for our client injured in a car accident in Hillsborough County.
- $1 million for a client in Hillsborough County rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney Today
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We strive to help injured individuals and the families of the deceased secure the full, fair recovery they are owed. We offer dedicated legal representation for car accident victims and victims of bicycle, rideshare, and semi-truck accidents.
If you feel you have been the victim of a car accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 637-0100 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.