If you were hit by a car while walking, you need to speak with a pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible. Many people don’t realize they may be entitled to compensation for their injuries.
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we have experience helping pedestrians who have been injured in accidents. We know what it takes to get the best results for our clients, and we will work tirelessly to ensure you receive the money you deserve. Contact us today for a free case evaluation!
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in New Port Richey?
In 2021, over 9,500 pedestrian accidents happened in Florida, with 835 deaths and 7,329 injuries. Unfortunately, this trend continues throughout the state.
Although New Port Richey is known for its beautiful weather and scenic views, the city also has its share of pedestrian accidents. According to data from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were nearly 161 pedestrian accidents in Pasco County in 2021 alone. This slightly decreased from the previous year when just over 170 pedestrian accidents were reported.
However, both years saw 23 pedestrian deaths with around 130 injuries. Data from up to September 2022 reports that 127 pedestrian accidents happened, with 18 deaths and 105 injuries.
As a pedestrian, staying vigilant and aware of your surroundings is critical. Whether walking downtown or through a park, look for potential hazards. If you see a car coming, give it plenty of space. And always cross the street at a designated crosswalk or intersection whenever possible.
Common Types of Pedestrian Accidents in New Port Richey
Pedestrians include anyone walking, running, or jogging on foot. And while you might think that most pedestrian accidents happen when a car hits someone crossing the street, many different types of accidents can occur.
Some of the most common include:
- Hit and run accidents: Unfortunately, hit and run accidents are all too common in Florida. Hit and runs for pedestrian accidents usually occur when the driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, doesn’t have insurance, or is fleeing a crime scene. These accidents are considered a felony under Florida law.
- Crosswalk accidents: Crosswalks are designed to help pedestrians safely cross the street. However, many drivers do not yield to pedestrians at crosswalks, which can lead to serious accidents.
- Sidewalk accidents typically occur when a driver loses control of their vehicle and sideswipes a pedestrian on a sidewalk.
- Back-over accidents occur when a driver backs up and doesn’t see a pedestrian behind them. These are particularly dangerous for young children who might be hard to spot.
Contact our law firm today if you or someone you love has suffered injuries due to a pedestrian accident. We will review your case for free and help you understand your legal options. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and more.
The Dangers of Walking in New Port Richey
As a pedestrian, it’s important to be aware of the dangers around you. The risk of being involved in a pedestrian accident is higher in Florida than in most other states.
There are many hazards that pedestrians face every day, including:
Drivers who are texting, talking on the phone, or otherwise not paying attention to the road are a danger to everyone around them.
Whether it’s due to bad weather or simply not enough streetlights, poor visibility can make it hard for drivers to see pedestrians. Make sure to wear bright clothing if you’ll be walking at night.
Drivers who are speeding are less likely to yield to pedestrians and more likely to lose control of their vehicle, causing severe injuries in an accident.
Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol pose a danger to pedestrians. If you see a driver behaving erratically, do your best to get out of the way and call 911.
Parking Lot Accidents
Pedestrians are also at risk of being hit by a car in a parking lot. Drivers might not be paying attention or might not see you when they’re backing out of a space.
Poorly Maintained Roads
Cracks, potholes, and other road hazards can cause pedestrians to trip and fall.
Cars making left-hand turns are often involved in pedestrian accidents. When drivers make a left-hand turn, they are more likely to concentrate on getting through the intersection than watching out for pedestrians.
If you’re crossing the street and see a car turning, give them plenty of time to clear the intersection before you walk.
If you’re a pedestrian in New Port Richey, stay alert and aware of your surroundings. And if you or someone you love has been involved in a pedestrian accident, contact our personal injury law firm today. We can help you understand your legal options and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrian accidents can result in a variety of injuries. Some of the most common include:
- Head Injuries: Head injuries are some of the most severe injuries resulting from a pedestrian accident. They can lead to long-term disabilities and even death.
- Broken Bones: Broken bones are another common injury in pedestrian accidents. They can be extremely painful and require extensive medical treatment.
- Lacerations: Lacerations are deep cuts that can occur when a pedestrian is hit by a car. They can result in severe bleeding and may require stitches or surgery to close.
- Sprains and strains: Sprains and strains are common injuries when ligaments or muscles are stretched or torn. They can be extremely painful and may require physical therapy to recover from.
If you’ve been involved in a pedestrian accident, it’s important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, they could become more serious over time.
You shouldn’t have to pay for your medical bills and other expenses related to a pedestrian accident that wasn’t your fault. Contact our law firm today to learn more about how we can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Why You Should Hire an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
No one expects to leave their house and be involved in a pedestrian accident. But unfortunately, accidents happen every day. If you can prove that the accident resulted from someone else’s negligence, you might be able to get compensation for your injuries.
However, proving negligence can be difficult. That’s why it’s important to hire an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer. The responsible party won’t always admit they were at fault, and insurance companies will do everything they can to deny or minimize your claim. But an experienced lawyer will protect your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Your lawyer will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation: Your lawyer will investigate the accident to gather evidence that proves the other party was at fault. This can be done by talking to witnesses, reviewing surveillance footage, and analyzing police reports.
- Build a strong case: Once your lawyer has gathered enough evidence, they’ll build a strong case against the responsible party. This will include using expert witnesses, medical records, and accident reconstruction to prove liability.
- Negotiate with the insurance company: Insurance companies are notorious for lowballing injury victims. But an experienced lawyer will know how to negotiate with them to get you the full amount of compensation you deserve.
- Take your case to court: If the insurance company refuses to give you a fair settlement, your lawyer will take your case to court. They’ll fight for you in front of a judge and jury and do everything they can to get you the compensation you deserve.
Don’t try to handle your pedestrian accident claim on your own. Contact The Fran Haasch Law Group today to schedule a free case evaluation with a pedestrian accident lawyer. We’ll review your case and help you understand your legal rights and options. And we won’t get paid unless we win your case.
What Should I Do After a Pedestrian Accident in New Port Richey?
If you or someone you love has been injured in a pedestrian accident, the first thing you should worry about is getting medical attention. Once a doctor has seen you, you can start thinking about taking legal action.
Gather Evidence and Information
If you can, try to gather as much evidence and information about the accident as possible. This can include:
- Taking pictures of the accident scene
- Getting contact information from witnesses
- The police report
- Photos of the driver’s vehicle
- The driver’s name and insurance information
This evidence can be beneficial in building your case and getting the compensation you deserve.
Get a Police Report
You can report the accident to the City of New Port Richey Police Department or the nearest police station. The primary goal of the police report is to document what happened.
The report will include:
- The date, time, and location of the accident
- A description of the accident
- The names and contact information of any witnesses
- The name, contact information, and insurance information of the driver.
This report can be used by your lawyer to help build your case.
Contact a New Port Richey Lawyer
Hiring a lawyer is one of the most important steps you can take after a pedestrian accident. A lawyer can help you:
- Navigate the legal system
- Gather evidence and information
- Build a strong case
- Fight for the compensation you deserve
You shouldn’t have to go through this process alone. Our law firm has extensive experience helping pedestrians who careless drivers have injured. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.
Report the Accident to Your Insurance Company
Florida’s no-fault insurance laws require all drivers to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. This type of insurance will cover your medical bills and other expenses regardless of who was at fault for the accident. With PIP, you must seek medical attention within 14 days of the accident to receive the benefits.
You should report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. Be sure to record any conversations you have with your insurer. You may need to refer back to them later.
If you don’t have insurance or your injuries exceed your PIP coverage, you may be able to file a claim against the driver who hit you. If the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance and you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you can file a claim with your own insurer. This is where having an experienced pedestrian accident attorney on your side can be extremely beneficial.
Liability in New Port Richey Pedestrian Accidents
The liable party in most pedestrian accidents is the driver. Drivers are responsible for yielding to pedestrians and exercising caution when driving near them. When drivers fail to do this, they put pedestrians in danger. For negligence to exist, the following has to be present:
- The driver owed the pedestrian a duty of care
- The driver breached that duty of care
- The breach caused or contributed to the accident
- The pedestrian was injured as a result of the driver’s negligence
A driver may be at fault if:
- They were speeding
- They were driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- They ran a red light or stop sign
- They failed to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk
In some cases, the city or another party may be liable for a pedestrian accident. This can happen if:
- There was inadequate lighting at the time of the accident
- The crosswalk was poorly marked
- There was a pothole or other type of hazard in the roadway
Determining liability can be complex, so it’s important to have an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer on your side.
Compensation Available to New Port Richey Pedestrian Accident Victims
You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries if you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident. The compensation you’re eligible to receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and their impact on your life.
You may be able to recover damages for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
In rare cases, punitive damages may also be available. These are designed to punish the at-fault party for negligence and deter others from engaging in similar behavior.
Fatal Pedestrian Accidents in New Port Richey
Sadly, pedestrian accidents often result in serious injuries or death. If you’ve lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim against the at-fault party.
A wrongful death claim can help you recover damages for:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of financial support
- Pain and suffering of the deceased before their death
How Much Is My Pedestrian Accident Claim Worth?
The value of your pedestrian accident claim will depend on several factors, including:
- The severity of your injuries
- The amount of medical bills you have incurred
- Whether you missed time from work as a result of your injuries
- The impact the accident has had on your life
An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer will be able to fully assess the value of your claim and fight for the compensation you deserve.
How Long Do I Have to File a Pedestrian Accident Claim in Florida?
In Florida, the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim is four years from the date of the accident. You have four years to file or settle a claim against the driver who hit you. If you don’t file within this time frame, you will likely be barred from doing so.
This is why it’s important to act quickly after a pedestrian accident. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help ensure that your claim is filed promptly and that you receive the full compensation you are entitled to.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Attorney in New Port Richey Today
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident, you need an experienced lawyer on your side. The lawyers at The Fran Haasch Law Group have extensive experience handling pedestrian accident cases and can help you fight for the compensation you deserve. We serve clients in New Port Richey, Tampa, Clearwater, and throughout Florida. Contact us today to schedule a free case review.