When two or more cars collide at an intersection, the results can be catastrophic. If you’re feeling overwhelmed after a car accident, it’s important to seek legal representation. A car accident lawyer can provide support and guidance as you move forward with your case.
The accident lawyers at The Fran Haasch Law Group have years of experience representing clients in car accident cases. We know what it takes to get results for car accident victims, and we are ready to fight for you.
Causes of Intersection Accidents
Many different things can cause an intersection accident. Some of the most common causes include:
Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of intersection accidents. When a driver takes their eyes off the road, they put themselves and others at risk, even for a few seconds. Distracted driving can include anything from texting and driving to eating and driving.
Drunk driving is another leading cause of intersection accidents. When drivers get behind the wheel after drinking, they are much more likely to get into an accident. In addition, drunk drivers often have slow reflexes, which can lead to severe crashes.
Speeding is another leading cause of intersection accidents. When a driver is going too fast, they may not stop in time to avoid an accident. This can often lead to cars colliding with each other.
What are Common Car Accidents That Occur at Intersections?
Many different types of car accidents can occur at intersections. Some of the most common include:
- T-bone accidents happen when the front of one car crashes into the side of another car. This type of accident can often be severe, as the dashboard or windshield can hit the passengers in the struck car.
- Head-on collisions occur when the front of one car crashes into the front of another car. This can often be a severe type of accident, leading to head injuries or even death.
- Rear-end collisions occur when the back of one car crashes into the front of another car. This type of accident can often be very serious, leading to whiplash or other injuries.
- Rollover accidents occur when a car flips over onto its roof. This type of accident can often be very serious, as it can lead to the occupants being ejected from the car.
- Stop Sign Intersection Accidents – The most frequent driver mistakes at stop signs are often the result of a driver’s failure to observe traffic laws. Therefore, drivers need to make sure they come to a complete stop at the stop sign and check both ways before proceeding.
- Traffic Light Intersection Accidents – Collisions occur at traffic lights when one driver runs a red light, putting themselves in the way of oncoming traffic. This can be a very dangerous type of accident and lead to severe injuries or even death.
- Left Turn Intersection Accidents – This type of accident often occurs when a driver is making a left turn and is hit by another car coming from the opposite direction. This can happen if the other driver does not see the car making the left turn or going too fast.
These are just a few of the different car accidents that can occur at intersections. If you are involved in any car accident, it is important to seek medical attention right away. You may also want to contact an experienced car accident lawyer to help you with your case.
How to Avoid Intersection Accidents
One of the best things to avoid an intersection crash is to pay attention to the road. If you are distracted, you may not see another car coming, which could lead to an accident. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about 96 percent of all intersection collisions directly result from driver error.
Another way to avoid these accidents is to obey traffic signals. This includes observing the speed limit and stopping at stop signs. If you do this, you will significantly reduce your chances of getting in an accident.
What to Do After an Intersection Accident
If you are involved in an intersection accident, there are a few things that you should do:
- Make sure that everyone is okay and call 911 right away.
- Try to get all of the information that you can. This includes the names and contact information of the other drivers involved and any witnesses.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. This can be helpful when it comes time to file an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit.
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer at The Fran Haasch Law Group. We will help you with your insurance claim and help you get the compensation you deserve if you were injured in the accident.
Common Injuries from Intersection Crashes
Many different types of injuries can occur in an intersection accident. Some of the most common include:
- Whiplash is a neck injury that most often occurs in rear-end collisions. It can be very painful and may require extensive medical treatment.
- Head injuries can occur in any car accident, but they are prevalent in head-on collisions. These injuries can range from a mild concussion to death.
- Leg and knee injuries are also common in intersection accidents. These injuries can often be very serious and may require surgery.
Determining Fault in Car Accidents at Intersections
Determining who is at fault in a car accident can be a very difficult task. However, there are a few things that you can look at to help you determine who is at fault:
- Who had the right of way? If one driver had the right of way and the other driver did not, then the driver who did not have the right of way is often at fault.
- Who was speeding? If one driver was going faster than the speed limit, they may be at fault for the accident.
- Who made a left turn? If one driver made a left turn and hit another car, they may be at fault.
- Did anyone run a red light? If one driver ran a red light and caused an accident, they may be at fault.
These are just a few things that can be looked at to determine who is at fault in an intersection accident. If you are unsure who is at fault, it is best to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer.
Pure Comparative Negligence in Florida
Florida is a comparative negligence state, which means if two drivers each played some role in causing an accident, they would be assigned a percentage of the fault. The more at-fault driver will then be responsible for compensating the other driver for their injuries and damages.
For example, if you are found to be 30% at fault for the car accident, you would only receive 70% of the damages awarded in your claim.
It is important to speak with an auto accident attorney to understand how comparative negligence may impact your claim. An experienced car accident lawyer can help you determine who was at fault in the crash and can help you file a claim against the other driver.
Damages You Can Recover in a Car Accident Claim
If you are injured in a car accident, you may be able to recover damages for your injuries. These damages can include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
Other damages may also be available, depending on the facts of your case. Again, it is important to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer to understand what damages may be available to you.
Contact The Car Accident Lawyers at The Fran Haasch Law Group Today
If you are seeking high-quality legal representation, contact The Fran Haasch Law Group today for a free case evaluation if you are a car accident victim. Our legal professionals have extensive experience helping personal injury victims get the fair compensation they deserve. Our car accident attorneys can help you get the damages you are entitled to for your injuries and other losses.