Whiplash is one of the most common neck injuries to appear after a car accident. Unfortunately, many whiplash injuries are overlooked because symptoms may not manifest immediately. If you’ve been in a car crash and are experiencing neck pain, seek medical attention. Then, contact an experienced car accident lawyer, as you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
An experienced lawyer can help you understand your rights and options, guide you through the legal process, and represent you in negotiations or court proceedings. In addition, they will work to get you a fair settlement for your injuries and other losses.
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we have years of experience helping car accident victims get the money they need to rebuild their lives. We know how to fight for our clients, and we will do everything possible to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free case review.
What is Whiplash?
Whiplash, also known as a neck strain, is a neck injury that occurs when the neck is extended beyond its normal range of motion and then snapped back into place. Whiplash injuries occur in car accidents, during a sports injury, or other activities that make the head and neck snap forward and back in quick succession. A whiplash injury can cause damage to the neck muscles, bones, and ligaments.
Common Whiplash Symptoms
The term whiplash-associated disorders (WAD) refers to the symptoms that occur after a whiplash injury and vary from person to person. Most car accident victims experience:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Reduced range of motion
- Radiating pain in the arms
- Numbness or tingling in the arms, hands, or fingers
In some cases, whiplash can lead to neurological disorders such as:
- Muscle spasms – Whiplash is a common cause of muscle spasms in the neck. These spasms can be very painful and make it difficult to move your head.
- Vertigo – Vertigo is a type of dizziness that occurs when you feel like you are spinning in the environment around you.
- Pinched Nerves – Damage to the nerves in the neck can cause pinched nerves. This occurs when one or more of the nerves in the neck is compressed or squeezed. The most common symptoms of pinched nerves are pain, tingling, and numbness in the arm, hand, and fingers.
How Long Does it Take for Whiplash Symptoms to Appear
Symptoms of whiplash may not appear immediately after the injury. It can take hours or days for symptoms to develop. This is why it’s important to see your doctor as soon as possible after a car accident or other event that may have caused whiplash.
How is Whiplash Diagnosed?
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and how the injury occurred. They will also do a physical exam to look for signs of whiplash. In some cases, you may need additional tests such as an MRI or CT scan to determine if you have any damage to the soft tissues in your neck, such as the discs, muscles, or ligaments.
How is Whiplash Treated?
Treatment for whiplash depends on the severity of the injury. Some people with mild whiplash will only need pain relief and some rest. More severe cases may require physical therapy or chiropractic care.
Long-Term Complications of a Whiplash Injury
Some car accident victims who have a whiplash injury recover in a few weeks or months. However, some victims experience long-term complications. Whiplash injuries can lead to:
- Chronic Pain – This is the most common long-term effect of whiplash. Neck pain and stiffness can last for months or even years after the initial injury.
- Depression – The chronic pain and disability caused by whiplash can lead to depression.
- Anxiety – Whiplash can cause stress and fearfulness about re-injury. This can make it difficult to return to normal activities.
- Sleep disorders – Whiplash can cause insomnia and fatigue.
If you have sustained a whiplash injury, it is important to see your doctor right away. Early treatment can help to minimize the long-term effects of this condition.
File a Personal Injury Claim for Whiplash After a Car Accident
If you were injured in a car accident that was not your fault, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. This will allow you to recover damages for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. To learn more about filing a personal injury claim, contact an experienced car accident lawyer today.
What The Fran Haasch Law Group Can Do For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we focus on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits, and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 20 years of experience, we draw on constant legal research to help clients recover after being injured in auto accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
Determining the Value of Your Case
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
We have obtained multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements in cases involving auto accidents, as well as claims concerning wrongful death and catastrophic injuries.
We Get You Results
- $1.8 million for our client in Pinellas County who was injured in a car accident.
- $1.8 million for a 33-year-old female client in Hillsborough County who was lawfully stopped for a left-turning vehicle ahead when she was rear-ended by the defendant vehicle, which was then rear-ended by the vehicle behind it, causing the client to feel two impacts. This resulted in multiple back surgeries and an infection which caused the client to be hospitalized several times.
- $1.6 million for a 25-year-old female passenger on a motorcycle when the defendant cut across the client’s path. The client was thrown over 200 feet from the motorcycle. The accident resulted in a fractured leg, broken finger, back surgery, and many other injuries.
- $1.55 million for a 46-year old male in Pasco County who was stopped at a red light on U.S. Highway 19 in Pasco County and was rear-ended by the defendant at a high rate of speed.
- $1.35 million for a client in Pasco County. The defendant turned left in front of our client, causing the client’s vehicle to flip and resulting in many injuries.
- $1.34 million for a 69-year-old male client in Orange County who was in the left turn lane when the defendant came across his pathway while attempting to turn and collided with the client. The accident resulted in multiple severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken arm that required surgery, and several lacerations.
- $1.3 million for a 33-year-old female client in Pinellas County who was rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light with her three children in the car with her. The accident resulted in multiple surgeries and complications.
- $1.25 for our client injured in a car accident in Hillsborough County.
- $1 million for a client in Hillsborough County rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney Today
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We strive to help injured individuals and the families of the deceased secure the full, fair recovery they are owed. We offer dedicated legal representation for car accident victims and victims of bicycle, rideshare, and semi-truck accidents.
If you feel you have been the victim of a car accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 637-0100 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.