Pedestrian Accident Attorney Clearwater FL
Located in the Tampa bay area of Florida, Clearwater is a beautiful beach town home to many tourists. However, with the influx of visitors comes an increased risk for accidents. If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident in Clearwater, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
An experienced lawyer can help you understand your rights and options under the law. It is important to speak with an experienced lawyer to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, our team has helped countless people in Clearwater, Largo, and the surrounding Pinellas County recover the compensation they deserve after being involved in a pedestrian accident. We understand the challenges you are facing and will work diligently to help you get the outcome you need and deserve.
Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Laws
Florida Statute 316.130 dictates how a pedestrian should act when walking through traffic.
- Pedestrians must follow all traffic signals unless otherwise directed by a police officer.
- Pedestrians can only cross at an intersection in places with traffic lights on both sides.
- Drivers must yield the right of way to pedestrians at crosswalks without traffic signals or proper signage.
- Pedestrians must use sidewalks and cannot walk on the roadway unless a sidewalk is not present. If there is no sidewalk, a pedestrian must walk along the shoulder on the left side of the road.
- A pedestrian cannot stand in the roadway to solicit a ride from a vehicle. They also cannot stand in the roadway during the parking of a motor vehicle or guard a vehicle.
This is just a small sample of Florida’s primary rules for pedestrians and drivers. If both parties are not following the law, it can result in an accident. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident caused by another party’s negligence, you should contact an experienced Clearwater pedestrian accident lawyer.
The Risks of Being a Pedestrian in Clearwater, FL
According to a Smart Growth America report, Tampa-St. Petersberg-Clearwater metropolitan area ranked as the eighth most dangerous metro area in the United States. Between 2010 and 2019, there were 968 pedestrian fatalities in the area.
Additionally, data from Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle’s Crash Dashboard reports that Pinellas County had almost 500 pedestrian accidents in 2021, with 60 deaths and 387 injuries.
There are many reasons why the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater area is so dangerous for pedestrians. The area is very spread out, so people must drive long distances. This can lead to driver fatigue, which increases the risk of accidents.
The area also has a lot of tourists, which can lead to pedestrian congestion in certain areas. And finally, the area has a lot of older residents, who are more at risk of being injured in a pedestrian accident.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is important to know that you have rights. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. An experienced Clearwater pedestrian accidents lawyer can help you understand your rights and options.
What to Do After a Clearwater Pedestrian Accident
If you are involved in a pedestrian accident, you should take some important steps to protect your rights.
- Call the police and get a copy of the accident report. This will be important when making an insurance claim or filing a personal injury lawsuit.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, as well as any injuries you sustained. These pictures will be helpful evidence if you decide to take legal action.
- See a doctor as soon as possible after the accident. Even if you don’t think you are injured, it is important to get checked out by a medical professional.
- Do not give a statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first. The insurance adjuster may try to use your statement against you later on.
- Contact an experienced Clearwater pedestrian accident lawyer. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights.
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we’ve seen the devastation that a pedestrian accident can cause. We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll an accident can take on a person and their family. Our goal is to help accident victims get the compensation they need to move on with their lives. Contact us today for a case review.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Florida
Most pedestrian accidents occur due to distracted driving. This can include anything from texting to talking on the phone to eating. Distracted driving is particularly dangerous because it takes a driver’s attention away from the road.
Other common causes of pedestrian accidents include drunk driving, speeding, and running red lights or stop signs. These are all examples of careless or reckless driving. When drivers act in this manner, they are putting pedestrians at risk.
Types of Pedestrian Accidents
When you think of a pedestrian accident, you may think of a person getting hit at an intersection or crossing the street. However, there are many different types of pedestrian accidents. Some common examples include:
- Backup Accidents: These accidents occur when a driver backs up and hits a pedestrian behind the vehicle. This usually occurs in a parking lot but can also happen when a driver backs out of a garage.
- Hit and Run Accidents occur when a driver hits a pedestrian and leaves the scene without stopping. This is a crime in Florida, and drivers who are caught will face severe penalties.
- Sideswipe Accidents occur when a driver sideswipes a pedestrian walking or standing next to the road. These accidents are often caused by distracted drivers or drivers who lose control of their vehicles.
If you have been involved in an accident, it is important to speak to an attorney who can help you understand your rights.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrians are far more vulnerable than drivers and more likely to suffer severe injuries in an accident. Some common pedestrian accident injuries include:
- Head Injuries: Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, are some of the most common injuries in pedestrian accidents. These injuries can have long-term effects and may require extensive medical treatment.
- Broken Bones: Broken bones are also common in pedestrian accidents. These injuries can be extremely painful and may require surgery to heal correctly.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries can result in paralysis and other life-changing complications. These injuries often require lifelong medical care.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. You should also contact an experienced Clearwater pedestrian accident lawyer who can help you understand your rights.
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are dedicated to helping pedestrian accident victims get the compensation they need and deserve. We have experience handling all types of pedestrian accident cases. We will fight to get you the compensation you need to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.
Does No-Fault Insurance Cover a Pedestrian Accident?
All Florida drivers must carry at least $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) coverage under the no-fault insurance law. This coverage does not only apply if you are in a car accident. It is also available if you were hurt while walking.
If the policy is in your name or someone else in your house has insurance, you can file an injury claim. However, you must seek medical treatment within 14 days of the accident to receive these benefits.
It is important to note that $10,000 might not be enough to cover your medical bills or account for any pain and suffering or future medical care. At The Fran Haasch Law Group, our Clearwater pedestrian accident lawyers can help you evaluate options for recovering additional compensation for your:
- Total cost of medical bills
- Lost wages
- Physical therapy and rehabilitative care
- Loss of quality of life
- Long-term care needs
- Damages for wrongful death, including burial and funeral expenses
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is important to speak to an attorney as soon as possible. Contact The Fran Haasch Law Group for a free case evaluation today.
Compensation Available in a Pedestrian Accident Claim
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. The compensation you are entitled to will depend on your injuries’ severity and your case’s facts.
Why Should I Hire a Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
There are many reasons to hire an experienced pedestrian accident attorney. Some of the most important reasons include:
- An attorney can help you understand your rights and options.
- An attorney will thoroughly investigate your accident to determine who is liable.
- An attorney has the resources to gather evidence and expert witnesses to build a strong case on your behalf.
Hiring an attorney is a personal decision, but it is one of the best decisions you can make for your case. Contact The Fran Haasch Law Group for a free case evaluation today if you have been injured in a pedestrian accident.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
In Florida, the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim is two years from the date of the accident. You have four years to file a lawsuit against the liable party. You will likely be barred from recovery if you do not file or settle within this time frame.
It is important to note that this does not give you four years to decide whether or not to file a claim. Once the statute of limitations expires, you will be unable to recover any compensation, even if you were seriously injured in the accident.
Contact Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Attorneys at The Fran Haasch Law Group For Assistance With Your Claim
The Fran Haasch Law Group is a personal injury law firm in Florida. We have been serving clients in Clearwater for over 20 years. We have a proven track record of success in pedestrian accident cases and are dedicated to fighting for our client’s rights.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact us today for a free case evaluation. We will answer your questions and help you understand your legal options. If you choose to hire us, we will work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve.