Fighting for a Fair Recovery for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
Drunk driving is a serious problem in the United States, and it claims thousands of lives each year. Almost 5,000 drunk driving motor vehicle accidents occurred in Florida in 2021. Of those crashes, over 300 were fatal, with nearly 3,000 ending in injuries for the passengers involved.
No one should have to suffer because of someone else’s negligence. If you have been injured in a drunk driving accident, contact a car accident attorney at The Fran Haasch Law Group today for a free case review. We are committed to providing drunk driving accident victims with the support they need. You do not have to go through this alone – let us help you get the compensation you deserve.
Drunk Driving Laws in Florida
Under Florida law, it is illegal to drive with a blood alcohol content level (BAC) of .08% or higher. When an intoxicated driver is pulled over and suspected of drunk driving, they will be asked to submit their breath, blood, or urine to a chemical test.
Penalties for Drunk Driving
Drunk drivers face various penalties. These penalties can include jail time, fines, and the suspension of their driver’s license.
Florida’s Dram Shop Law
Under Florida’s dram shop law, a person who sells or supplies a person of drinking age is not liable for injuries or damages caused by a drunk driving accident. The exception to this law is if a person or business willfully and unlawfully sells or supplies alcoholic beverages to a minor or someone with alcohol addiction.
The Statute of Limitations for a Florida Drunk Driving Accident
The statute of limitations is the time period in which you have to file a lawsuit. In Florida, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years from the accident date. This means that if you do not file a lawsuit within two years of the date of the accident, you will be barred from doing so.
Statute of Limitations for Wrongful Death Drunk Driving Crashes
If someone died due to the accident, the lawsuit must be filed within two years. Instead of filing from the date of the accident, you must file from the person’s death.
Common Types of Drunk Driving Accidents in Florida
There are many different types of drunk driving accidents, but some of the most common include:
- Rear-end collisions
- Side-impact collisions
- Head-on collisions
- Rollover accidents
- Intersection accidents
- T-Bone accidents
If you have been involved in any drunk driving accident, it is important to speak with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible. We can help you understand your rights and options at our firm, and we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free case review.
Common Injuries Sustained in Drunk Driving Accidents
Drunk driving accidents can cause many injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to serious injuries. If you have been involved in a drunk driving accident, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you do not think you are injured, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
Some of the most common injuries sustained in drunk driving accidents include:
- Whiplash – A neck injury caused by the sudden jerking of the head.
- Broken bones – Bones can be broken in various ways, including being hit by another car or being thrown from the vehicle.
- Head injuries – These injuries range from minor concussions to more serious traumatic brain injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries – Spinal cord injuries can result in paralysis.
- Internal bleeding – Internal bleeding can be caused by a variety of things, including broken bones or a punctured organ.
If you have been injured in a drunk driving accident, it is important to speak with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible. At our firm, we can help you understand your rights and options, and we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Protect Yourself from Florida Drunk Drivers
You can do a few things to protect yourself from a drunk driving crash.
- First, always be aware of your surroundings and look for signs of intoxicated drivers.
- Second, always wear your seatbelt and make sure your passengers are buckled up as well. Seatbelts can save lives, and they could help you avoid serious injuries in the event of an accident.
- Third, if you are going to be drinking, always designate a sober driver. Never get behind the wheel if you have been drinking.
Recognizing a Florida Drunk Driver
There are a few signs that can help you recognize a drunk driver:
- Pay attention to drivers who are swerving, speeding, or driving erratically.
- Be on the lookout for drivers making wide turns or braking suddenly.
- Look for drivers who are having trouble staying in their lane.
If you see any of these signs, stay away from the driver and call 911.
Compensation after a DUI accident
There are a few different types of compensation that you may be entitled to after a drunk driving accident.
- Medical Expenses – This can include hospital bills, doctor’s visits, physical therapy, and more.
- Lost wages – If you missed work due to your injuries, you can recover any past and future lost earnings.
- Pain and Suffering – This non-economic damage can include emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, and more.
Punitive Damages in a Drunk Driving Car Accident
Punitive damages are designed to punish the drunk driver and deter others from driving while intoxicated. To recover punitive damages, you will need to prove that the drunk driver acted with gross negligence or willful disregard for the safety of others.
If you have been involved in a drunk driving accident, it is important to speak with an experienced drunk driving accident lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your rights and options.
Protect Your Rights After a Florida Drunk Driving Accident
If you have been involved in a Florida drunk driving accident, it is important to take action to protect your rights. You should:
- Call the police and make a report.
- Seek medical treatment as soon as possible.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to file an accident report.
- Speak with a Florida drunk driving attorney about your case. At our law firm, The Fran Haasch Law Group, we will help you understand your rights and options.
What The Fran Haasch Law Group Can Do For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we focus on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 21 years of experience, we draw on constant medical research to help clients recover after being injured in auto accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
We Get You the Compensation You Deserve
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
We have obtained multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements in cases involving auto accidents, as well as claims concerning wrongful death and catastrophic injuries. Here are a few of our car accident case results:
- $1.8 million for our client in Pinellas County who was injured in a car accident
- $1.8 million for a 33-year-old female client in Hillsborough County who was lawfully stopped for a left-turning vehicle ahead when she was rear-ended by the defendant vehicle, which was then rear-ended by the vehicle behind it, causing the client to feel two impacts. This resulted in multiple back surgeries and an infection which caused the client to be hospitalized several times.
- $1.6 million for a 25-year-old female passenger on a motorcycle when the defendant cut across the client’s path. The client was thrown over 200 feet from the motorcycle. The accident resulted in a fractured leg, broken finger, back surgery, and many other injuries.
- $1.55 million for a 46-year old male in Pasco County who was stopped at a red light on U.S. Highway 19 in Pasco County and was rear-ended by the defendant at a high rate of speed.
- $1.35 million for a client in Pasco County. The defendant turned left in front of our client, causing the client’s vehicle to flip and resulting in many injuries.
- $1.34 million for a 69-year-old male client in Orange County who was in the left turn lane when the defendant came across his pathway while attempting to turn and collided with the client. The accident resulted in multiple severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken arm that required surgery, and several lacerations.
- $1.3 million for a 33-year-old female client in Pinellas County who was rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light with her three children in the car with her. The accident resulted in multiple surgeries and complications.
- $1.025 for our client injured in a car accident in Hillsborough County.
- $1.0 million for a client in Hillsborough County rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
Contact a Florida Drunk Driving Accidents Lawyer Today
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We strive to help injured individuals and the loved ones of those wrongfully killed, secure the full, fair recovery they are owed. We offer dedicated legal representation for car accident victims and victims of bicycle, rideshare, and semi-truck accidents. If you feel you have been the victim of a car accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 637-0100 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.