A hit-and-run accident can be a very traumatic experience. If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, it is important to seek legal help right away.
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we have years of experience helping victims of hit and run accidents get the compensation they deserve. Our car accident lawyers understand what you are going through, and we will do everything we can to help you get justice.
What is a Hit-and-Run Car Accident?
A hit-and-run car accident is a collision in which an at-fault driver leaves the scene without providing information or assistance to the other drivers or pedestrians involved. This type of accident can be very traumatic, especially if you are injured.
What Should I Do If I Am Involved in a Hit-and-Run Accident?
If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention if you are injured – It is important to seek medical attention if you are injured in a hit-and-run accident. Even if you do not think you are injured, it is best to get checked out by a doctor.
- Report the accident to the police – You should file a police report as soon as possible. The sooner you report it, the more likely it is that the police will be able to find the driver who hit you.
- Get contact information from witnesses – If there are any witnesses to the accident, get their contact information. They may be able to provide helpful information to the police.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer – At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand the challenges you face after a hit-and-run accident. We will help you begin the claims process, negotiate with insurance companies, and do everything we can to help you get justice.
Causes of Hit-and-Run Accidents
There are many reasons why hit-and-run drivers may choose to leave the accident scene. Some common causes of hit-and-run accidents include:
- Driving under the influence
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Fleeing from the police
- Not having a driver’s license or insurance
If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, it is important to seek legal help right away.
What Are the Laws for Hit and Run in Florida?
In Florida, it is a crime to leave the scene of an accident without providing information. A hit and run offense could be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony depending on if the accident resulted in injury or death.
Car Insurance and Hit-and-Runs
If you have been injured in an accident and the hit-and-run driver cannot be found, you can file a claim with your own insurance company.
Personal Injury Protection Insurance (PIP)
Florida requires all drivers to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. This type of coverage is no-fault insurance that covers medical expenses and lost wages. This insurance will cover you and your passengers, regardless of who was at fault in the accident.
You should review your policy to make sure you are fully covered in the event of an auto accident. If your policy doesn’t cover all of your expenses, you may need to speak with a personal injury law firm about filing a lawsuit.
How to Prove Fault in Hit-and-Run Accidents
It can be difficult to prove who was at fault in a hit-and-run accident. However, there are some things you can do to increase your chances of success:
- Check for damage to your car – If the other driver hit your car and then fled the scene, there may be evidence of the collision on your vehicle.
- CCTV footage – Many cities have cameras placed on street corners and other public areas. If there is a collision, a hit-and-run accident attorney can help you obtain footage that may show the car that hit you.
- Witnesses – If there were witnesses to the accident, they may be able to provide evidence of who was driving the car that hit you.
Damages Available After a Hit-and-Run Crash
If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be able to recover the cost of your medical expenses. This includes the costs of emergency room treatment, hospitalization, surgery, and any other medical treatments you need.
If you are unable to work because of your injuries, you may be able to recover the lost wages you have suffered. This includes the wages you have missed and future wages that you will miss because of your injuries.
Pain and Suffering
You may also be able to recover damages for pain and suffering. This includes both physical pain and emotional distress.
If the accident caused damage to your car, you may be able to recover the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle.
What The Fran Haasch Law Group Can Do For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we focus on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits, and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 21 years of experience, we draw on constant medical research to help clients recover after being injured in auto accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
We’ll Get You the Compensation You Deserve
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
We have obtained multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements in cases involving auto accidents, as well as claims concerning wrongful death and catastrophic injuries. Here are a few of our case results:
- $1.8 million for our client in Pinellas County who was injured in a car accident
- $1.8 million for a 33-year-old female client in Hillsborough County who was lawfully stopped for a left-turning vehicle ahead when she was rear-ended by the defendant vehicle, which was then rear-ended by the vehicle behind it, causing the client to feel two impacts. This resulted in multiple back surgeries and an infection which caused the client to be hospitalized several times.
- $1.6 million for a 25-year-old female passenger on a motorcycle when the defendant cut across the client’s path. The client was thrown over 200 feet from the motorcycle. The accident resulted in a fractured leg, broken finger, back surgery, and many other injuries.
- $1.55 million for a 46-year old male in Pasco County who was stopped at a red light on U.S. Highway 19 in Pasco County and was rear-ended by the defendant at a high rate of speed.
- $1.35 million for a client in Pasco County. The defendant turned left in front of our client, causing the client’s vehicle to flip and resulting in many injuries.
- $1.34 million for a 69-year-old male client in Orange County who was in the left turn lane when the defendant came across his pathway while attempting to turn and collided with the client. The accident resulted in multiple severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken arm that required surgery, and several lacerations.
- $1.3 million for a 33-year-old female client in Pinellas County who was rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light with her three children in the car with her. The accident resulted in multiple surgeries and complications.
- $1.025 for our client injured in a car accident in Hillsborough County.
- $1.0 million for a client in Hillsborough County rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
Contact an Auto Accident Lawyer at The Fran Haasch Law Group Today
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We strive to help injured individuals and the loved ones of those wrongfully killed secure the full, fair recovery they are owed. We offer dedicated legal representation for car accident victims and victims of bicycle, rideshare, and semi-truck accidents.
If you feel you have been the victim of a car accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 784-8191 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.