If you are involved in a hit-and-run car accident, it is important to know what to do. Many people panic after an accident and don’t know what steps to take next. This can lead to further problems down the road.
Contact a car accident lawyer with The Fran Haasch Law Group today if you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident. We have years of experience helping victims of car accidents get the money they need to rebuild their lives. We know how to fight for our clients, and we will do everything possible to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free case review.
Hit-and-Runs in Florida
Florida law requires drivers to do three things before leaving an accident scene.
- Every driver involved in the accident must stay at the scene long enough to exchange information such as name, address, vehicle registration number, and license number with the other drivers.
- Drivers must stay at the scene long enough to “render reasonable assistance to any person injured in the crash,” which may include taking them to a doctor.
- If none of the people injured in the accident are in a condition to exchange information, drivers must contact law enforcement to report the accident and submit the required information.
Any accident becomes a hit-and-run when one driver leaves the accident scene before doing these three things.
Steps to Take After an Accident
Move to a Safe Place and Check For Injuries
The first thing that you should do is move to a safe place. If you are in the middle of the road, try to get to the side of the road, away from traffic.
Call the Police
After you have moved to a safe place and checked for injuries, the next step is to call the police. The police will create a report of the accident. This report will be important when you file your insurance claim.
Document the Accident
Take notes of everything you can about the accident. While everything’s fresh, make notes on anything you can remember about the other driver or vehicle. Write down any details you can remember, such as the make and model of the vehicle, the direction they traveled when they left the scene, and their license plate number.
If you have a camera, take pictures of the damage to your vehicle. It’s also important to get the contact information of any witnesses. Witnesses can provide valuable information that can help you with your insurance claim.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer
After you have taken all of the necessary steps, contact a lawyer. At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we can help you retrieve the police report, compile any evidence you have collected and help you file your claim with your own insurance company.
Causes of Hit-and-Run Accidents
There are many reasons hit-and-run drivers flee an accident. The most common reason is that the driver does not have insurance. Other reasons include:
- The driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- The driver has a warrant out for their arrest
- The driver was fleeing the police
- The driver may not have a driver’s license
Does Car Insurance Cover a Hit-and-Run in Florida?
Florida requires all drivers to carry property damage liability. Typically, this would help cover the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle. But if the other driver isn’t found, there are different coverage options.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Florida also requires drivers to carry a minimum of $10,000 in PIP coverage. PIP will cover your medical bills incurred due to the hit-and-run up to your policy limit.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UIM)
Florida does not require drivers to carry UIM coverage. However, insurance companies must offer at least $10,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per person. If you choose to add UIM coverage to your auto insurance policy, this coverage may apply if the at-fault driver isn’t found.
Collision coverage usually covers damage to your vehicle regardless of who is at fault. However, if the other driver isn’t found, you may have to pay your deductible to use this coverage to recover repair costs.
Medpay or Medical Payment Coverage is an additional elective provision insurance policy that also may help in a hit-and-run accident. This coverage ensures that 100% of your medical bills are paid up to a specific coverage limit.
Proving Fault in Hit-and-Run Accidents
In a hit-and-run accident, you may not have the luxury of the at-fault driver’s insurance information. But there are still ways to prove who was at fault in an accident.
- Police Report: The police report will include witness statements and evidence collected at the accident scene. This can help determine who was at fault.
- Photos: Photos of the accident scene and damage to your vehicle can help determine how the accident happened.
- Witness Statements: If you were able to get the contact information of any witnesses, their statements could help find the hit-and-run driver.
The Importance of Hiring a Car Accident Attorney
If you’ve been in a hit-and-run accident, the most important thing you can do is contact an experienced car accident lawyer. A lawyer can help you investigate the accident, file your insurance claim, and, if necessary, file a lawsuit to get the compensation you deserve.
What The Fran Haasch Law Group Can Do For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we focus on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 20 years of experience, we draw on constant legal and medical research to help clients recover after being injured in auto accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
Damages Available After a Hit-and-Run Crash
If you are the victim of a hit-and-run, you may be able to recover damages for:
- Medical expenses – You may be able to recover the cost of your medical treatment, including hospitalization, surgery, and rehabilitation.
- Lost wages – If you cannot work because of your injuries, you may be able to recover lost wages.
- Pain and suffering – You may be entitled to compensation for emotional distress related to the accident.
- Property damage – You may be able to recover the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle.
- Punitive damages – If the other driver’s actions were particularly egregious, you may be awarded punitive damages if they are caught.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer Today
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We strive to help injured individuals and the loved ones of those wrongfully killed secure the full, fair recovery they are owed. We offer dedicated legal representation for auto accident victims and victims of bicycle, rideshare, motorcycle, and semi-truck accidents.
If you feel you have been the victim of an auto accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 784-8191 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.