Florida drivers know it’s wrong and against the law to text on their cellphone while driving, yet too many drivers take the risk. They think it only takes a few seconds and they’re so attached to their phones that the urge to text, leave or listen to voicemail messages is hard to resist.
Statistics from the National Safety Council (NSC) state that irresponsible cellphone use has increased significantly on our highways and local streets, causing personal injury accidents.
The car accident lawyers at The Fran Haasch Law Group have a great deal of experience representing victims of negligent motorists who caused serious accidents while on their cell phones.
Texting While Driving in Florida
Texting and driving is a form of distracted driving, and texting while behind the wheel is the most significant cause of car accidents on our streets. Florida has an increasing number of automobile accidents occurring due to inattentive drivers texting. When a driver reads or writes a text on their cell phone, it takes away their focus on the road for about five seconds, and at higher speeds, that significantly increases the danger.
Florida Texting and Driving Law
Florida has the 2nd highest ranking for careless cellphone use resulting in automobile accidents in the country. In 2019, texting and driving became a primary offense, allowing law enforcement officers to issue non-moving traffic violation tickets to people caught texting while driving. Drivers are also not allowed to use a handheld devices in school and work zones.
The law does not apply to a motor vehicle operator who is:
- Performing official duties as an operator of an authorized emergency vehicle (law enforcement authorities, fire service, or emergency medical services professional)
- Reporting an emergency, criminal, or suspicious activity to the police.
- Receiving messages related to the automobile’s function or safety-related information.
- Conducting wireless interpersonal communication that does not require manual entry.
Hard Facts About Negligent Cell Phone Use
According to the NSC, about 1.6 million drivers cause car accidents because they use a wireless communications device. Many of these accidents occur due to texting while their vehicle is in motion, accounting for almost 400,000 accidents every year.
Every day there are approximately 700,000 drivers using cell phones, headsets, dash cameras, or other electronics while driving an automobile, motorcycle, or even in some cases, an ATV on a Clearwater area beach.
According to NSC reports, teenage drivers are at the most risk of causing an accident while on their cell phones. The chances of teenagers being in a motor vehicle accident rise by about 500% when they have friends riding with them. Also, teens have a higher fatality rate as 10% of deadly car accidents are caused by their careless use of cell phones.
What Happens If You Become a Victim
Don’t be surprised if the texting driver of the car that causes an accident denies using their cellphone when the accident occurs. It is a common occurrence in many texting and driving cases. However, the police may confiscate the wrongful driver’s phone as evidence, especially if serious injuries or fatalities are involved due to the crash. They may be charged with vehicular homicide or negligent manslaughter.
If necessary and serious personal injury is involved, our car accident lawyers can prepare a Spoliation Letter, which will require the party at fault to preserve their cellphone’s contents as potential evidence for any legal action.
Seek Medical Treatment
It is highly recommended that you and any passengers who have been injured go to the nearest hospital emergency center to be treated by medical professionals. Hospital records of treatment received by medical practitioners should be maintained as evidence to support prospective compensation for injuries and provided to the drivers’ insurance companies.
In addition, it’s important to follow the medical staff’s instructions for follow-up care.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney
Our firm also recommends that drivers purchase and install a dashboard camera in their vehicle if they want to prove accident fault and liability for a possible vehicle accident in the future.
What The Fran Haasch Law Group Can Do For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we focus on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 21 years of experience, we draw on constant legal research to help clients recover after being injured in auto accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our professional car accident lawyers are standing by to represent victims who are suffering from personal injuries, property damage, or loss because of an accident due to another irresponsible texting or distracted car driver.
We Get You the Compensation You Deserve
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
We have obtained multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements in cases involving auto accidents, as well as claims concerning wrongful death and catastrophic injuries.
Here are a few of our car accident case results
- $1.8 million for our client in Pinellas County who was injured in a car accident
- $1.8 million for a 33-year-old female client in Hillsborough County who was lawfully stopped for a left-turning vehicle ahead when she was rear-ended by the defendant vehicle, which was then rear-ended by the vehicle behind it, causing the client to feel two impacts. This resulted in multiple back surgeries and an infection which caused the client to be hospitalized several times.
- $1.6 million for a 25-year-old female passenger on a motorcycle when the defendant cut across the client’s path. The client was thrown over 200 feet from the motorcycle. The accident resulted in a fractured leg, broken finger, back surgery, and many other injuries.
- $1.55 million for a 46-year old male in Pasco County who was stopped at a red light on U.S. Highway 19 in Pasco County and was rear-ended by the defendant at a high rate of speed.
- $1.35 million for a client in Pasco County. The defendant turned left in front of our client, causing the client’s vehicle to flip and resulting in many injuries.
- $1.34 million for a 69-year-old male client in Orange County who was in the left turn lane when the defendant came across his pathway while attempting to turn and collided with the client. The accident resulted in multiple severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken arm that required surgery, and several lacerations.
- $1.3 million for a 33-year-old female client in Pinellas County who was rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light with her three children in the car with her. The accident resulted in multiple surgeries and complications.
- $1.025 million for our client injured in a car accident in Hillsborough County.
- $1 million for a client in Hillsborough County rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer Today
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We strive to help injured individuals and the loved ones of the deceased secure the full, fair recovery they are owed. We offer dedicated legal representation for car accident victims and victims of bicycle, rideshare, and semi-truck accidents.
If you feel you have been the victim of a car accident through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 784-8191 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.