A car accident is a traumatic event that can leave lasting emotional scars. If you or someone you know is a car accident victim, it is important to know that there are legal options available to you.
An experienced personal injury attorney can help you understand your rights and options, guide you through the legal process, and represent you in negotiations or court proceedings. In addition, they will work to get you a fair settlement for your injuries and other losses.
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we have years of experience helping victims of car accidents. Our personal injury attorneys help victims achieve a higher average car accident settlement to rebuild their lives. We know how to fight for our clients, and we will do everything possible to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free case review.
The Mental Toll of Car Accidents
The emotional trauma after an accident can be just as traumatic as physical injuries. Whether you are the victim of a minor or serious car accident, it’s important to get help from a qualified mental health professional who can help you deal with the trauma. Trauma can have a lasting effect on your life, but with treatment, you can begin to heal and move on.
What Kind of Emotional Trauma Can a Person Experience After a Car Crash?
There are many different types of emotional trauma that a person can experience after a car accident. Some of the most common include:
Survivors’ guilt is a common symptom of car accident trauma. It can cause you to feel guilty for surviving the accident when others didn’t. Survivors’ guilt can lead to depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
is a type of anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to a traumatic event, such as a car accident. Symptoms of PTSD can include:
- Intrusive thoughts or memories
- Avoidance of places or things that remind you of the accident
Anxiety is a feeling of unease, worry, or fear. Everyone feels anxious occasionally, but anxiety can be a long-lasting problem for some. There are different types of anxiety disorders, and each one has its own symptoms.
Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. It can interfere with your ability to work, study, eat, sleep, and enjoy activities you once enjoyed. Depression can be short-lived (acute) or long-lasting (chronic). It can also range from mild to severe.
Hypervigilance is an increased state of awareness. It can cause you to be on edge, feeling like you need to be prepared for anything that might happen. Hypervigilance can lead to sleep problems, fatigue, and difficulty concentrating.
Intrusive thoughts are unwanted, often disturbing, thoughts that come into your mind. They can be about anything, but they tend to be dark, violent, or sexual in nature. Intrusive thoughts are a common symptom of PTSD.
Flashbacks are vivid memories of a traumatic event that feel like you’re reliving the event. Flashbacks can be triggered by anything that reminds you of the trauma, such as a sound, sight, or smell. Flashbacks can be very distressing and may make you feel like you’re in danger.
Irritability is a feeling of agitation or annoyance. It can be caused by stress, anxiety, or depression. Irritability can make it hard to concentrate, sleep, or enjoy activities you once enjoyed.
How is Emotional Trauma Diagnosed
Emotional trauma can be diagnosed by a mental health specialist, such as a psychiatrist, psychologist, or counselor. The mental health professional will conduct a psychological evaluation to diagnose emotional trauma.
The evaluation will include an assessment of your symptoms, medical history, and family history. If the mental health professional believes you are suffering from emotional trauma, they will diagnose you with a condition, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Treatment for Mental Trauma After a Motor Vehicle Collision
Sometimes, underlying physical injuries caused by the accident may affect your emotional health, so going to a doctor for physical healing may be the first step in recovery. Some of the most common treatments for mental trauma after a motor vehicle collision include:
- Counseling: Counseling can help you process your emotions and learn healthy coping mechanisms.
- Medication: Medication may be prescribed to help relieve anxiety, depression, or PTSD symptoms.
- Therapy: Various types of therapy can help treat mental trauma. Some common types of therapy include cognitive-behavioral therapy, eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), and exposure therapy.
Can I Sue for Emotional Trauma After a Car Accident?
Yes, you can sue for emotional trauma after a car accident. Emotional trauma is a type of damage that can be awarded in a personal injury lawsuit. To win your case, you will need to prove that the defendant’s negligence caused you to suffer emotional distress. You will also need to show that you received treatment from a qualified mental health professional. If you can prove these things, you may be able to recover damages for your emotional trauma.
If you or someone are a car crash victim struggling with emotional trauma, contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss your case. A qualified attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options.
What The Fran Haasch Law Group Can Do For You
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we focus on helping you and your family recover. We pursue personal injury lawsuits, and wrongful death claims to obtain full compensation for damages such as pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, and more.
With over 21 years of experience, we draw on constant medical research to help clients recover after being injured in motor vehicle accidents in Tampa Bay and the surrounding areas. Founding personal injury attorney, Fran Haasch, is a lifetime member of the Multimillion Dollar Advocates Forum and a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, and the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association.
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced litigators. We are not afraid to take your lawsuit to trial if necessary. No matter how complicated your case, our firm is here to help you navigate the legal process from start to finish.
We Get You the Compensation You Deserve
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we understand that no amount of financial recovery can undo what you have been through. However, a fair settlement or jury verdict can ease the financial burden of unexpected medical bills, lost income, and other economic and non-economic damages associated with your accident.
We have obtained multi-million-dollar jury verdicts and settlements in personal injury cases involving auto accidents and claims concerning wrongful death and catastrophic injuries.
Here are a few of our auto accident case results:
- $1.8 million for our client in Pinellas County who was injured in an auto accident
- $1.8 million for a 33-year-old female client in Hillsborough County who was lawfully stopped for a left-turning vehicle ahead when she was rear-ended by the defendant vehicle, which was then rear-ended by the vehicle behind it, causing the client to feel two impacts. This resulted in multiple back surgeries and an infection which caused the client to be hospitalized several times.
- $1.6 million for a 25-year-old female passenger on a motorcycle when the defendant cut across the client’s path. The client was thrown over 200 feet from the motorcycle. The accident resulted in a fractured leg, broken finger, back surgery, and many other injuries.
- $1.55 million for a 46-year old male in Pasco County who was stopped at a red light on U.S. Highway 19 in Pasco County and was rear-ended by the defendant at a high rate of speed.
- $1.35 million for a client in Pasco County. The defendant turned left in front of our client, causing the client’s vehicle to flip and resulting in many injuries.
- $1.34 million for a 69-year-old male client in Orange County who was in the left turn lane when the defendant came across his pathway while attempting to turn and collided with the client. The accident resulted in multiple severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis, broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken arm that required surgery, and several lacerations.
- $1.3 million for a 33-year-old female client in Pinellas County who was rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light with her three children in the car with her. The accident resulted in multiple surgeries and complications.
- $1.025 for our client injured in a car accident in Hillsborough County.
- $1.0 million for a client in Hillsborough County rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic on the interstate.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney Today
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, we are committed to fighting for your fair recovery. We strive to help injured individuals and the loved ones of those wrongfully killed, secure the full, fair recovery they are owed. We offer dedicated legal representation for car accident victims and bicycle, Uber and Lyft, and semi-truck accidents victims.
If you feel you have been the victim of a serious car crash through no fault of your own. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate the legal process and work toward securing the maximum compensation you are owed. Call (727) 637-0100 or contact us online to get started on receiving maximum compensation for your personal injury case.