If you have been injured in an accident, you need a personal injury lawyer who understands what you are going through. At The Fran Haasch Law Group, our Zephyrhills personal injury attorneys have years of experience; injured victims get the compensation they deserve. Contact us today for a free case review.
What is a Personal Injury?
A personal injury is an injury to the body, mind, or emotions instead of an injury to property. Personal injuries can be caused by accidents, medical malpractice, intentional acts, and product defects.
What are the Types of Personal Injuries?
There are many types of personal injuries, but some of the most common include:
- Car accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Dog bites
- Assault and battery
How Do I Know If I Have a Personal Injury Case?
Not every accident results in a personal injury case. Several factors must be considered, including the severity of your injuries, who is at fault, and whether or not you have damages. You need to speak with an experienced Zephyrhills personal injury attorney to find out if you have a valid claim.
What Should I Do if I am Injured?
Whether you have catastrophic injuries or less severe injuries, you should first seek medical treatment after an accident. Once you have been treated for your injuries, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call the police – report the accident to the police and give them a detailed account of what happened. This will help with any future legal proceedings.
- Gather contact information – Get the contact names and phone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
- Gather evidence – If possible, take pictures of the scene of the accident and your injuries. This will help with your case later on.
- Contact a personal injury law firm – Speak with a Florida personal injury lawyer as soon as possible to get started on your case.
What is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer represents people who have been injured in accidents, as a result of someone else’s negligence.
Personal injury attorneys, sometimes known as plaintiff lawyers or trial attorneys, deal with cases concerning:
- Physical injury – the most common type of personal injury lawsuit. These include car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and damages caused by defective products.
- Emotional distress – emotional trauma resulting from an incident is also grounds for a lawsuit. This includes harassment, assault, and defamation of character.
- Financial losses – if you have suffered a financial loss due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. This includes medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Personal Injury Law in Zephyrhills, Florida
Laws pertaining to personal injury govern how personal injury claims are handled. Personal injury claims involve accidents, injuries, and damages caused by someone else’s negligence or intentional misconduct.
Determining Fault in a Personal Injury Case
Determining who is at fault in a personal injury case can be complicated. The first step to determining fault is deciding whether or not the defendant acted negligently or with intent.
- Negligence – A person acts negligently when their behavior creates an unreasonable risk of harm to others and causes an accident that results in injuries. The standard of care that is used to determine if someone acted negligently depends on the situation and their relationship to others at the time of the accident.
- Intentional misconduct – A person acts intentionally when they know that their behavior creates a risk of harm to others and causes an accident that results in injuries. Intentional misconduct is more difficult to prove than negligence, as the defendant must have intended to cause harm.
Comparative Negligence in Florida
In Florida, comparative negligence is used to determine fault in personal injury cases. This means that the jury will compare the defendant’s actions to the plaintiff’s actions to decide how much each party is responsible for the accident.
Types of Damages Awarded in Personal Injury Lawsuits
There are two types of damages awarded in personal injury cases: economic and non-economic damages.
- Economic damages are designed to compensate a victim for financial losses that result from an accident. These include medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and funeral expenses.
- Non-economic damages are designed to compensate a victim for non-financial losses that result from an accident. This includes pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, disfigurement or scarring, loss of consortium (the inability to maintain a relationship), and emotional distress.
Punitive damages may also be awarded in some cases, which are designed to punish the defendant for their actions. However, these are not common and are usually only awarded when the defendant’s actions were particularly egregious or dangerous.
Statute of Limitations for Zephyrhills Personal Injury Cases
The statute of limitations is the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit after an accident. In Florida, the statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits is four years. This means you must file your lawsuit within four years of the date of the accident.
What Can a Zephyrhills Personal Injury Attorney Do For Me?
A Zephyrhills personal injury lawyer can help you in several ways.
Handle Insurance Companies
After an accident, it is important to speak with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. The insurance company will likely contact you and offer a settlement. You should never accept the first offer from the insurance company without speaking with your lawyer first. The insurance adjuster may say that you must make a statement before they can process your claim or that you must sign a release before you receive any compensation. It is important to know your rights and understand the insurance process. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help guide you through the claims process and ensure that you get fair compensation for your injuries.
Medical Care and Treatment
After an accident, you may need medical care. An experienced personal injury attorney can connect you with the right medical providers to help treat your injuries. Also, if you cannot afford to pay for your medical bills upfront, a lawyer can negotiate with doctors and healthcare professionals on your behalf so that you get the treatment you need now and pay for it later.
Settlements and Trial Cases
Personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means they collect their fees as a percentage of your settlement. This allows you to hire an attorney even if you cannot afford the standard hourly rates associated with hiring one. The type of case you have will determine whether or not your case will settle or go to trial. In some cases, a settlement offer is too low, and you may need to take the case to court. An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to assess your situation and advise you on whether it makes sense for your case to settle or go to trial.
Personal Injury FAQ’s
What If I am Partially At Fault?
The state of Florida uses a comparative fault system, which means that even if you are partially at fault for your accident, you may still be able to recover damages. However, the amount of compensation awarded will be reduced by the percentage of fault attributed to you. For example, if a victim is found to be 30% at fault in an accident and the total award is $100,000, they will only recover $70,000.
Can I File a Claim on Behalf of My Spouse?
If your spouse suffers an injury in an accident, they can file a claim on their own. However, if the victim is married at the time of filing, Florida law allows the victim’s spouse to collect damages. Damages in these cases may include loss of consortium, which is the inability to maintain a marital relationship due to an injury.
What if I do not Live in Florida?
If you are injured while visiting Zephyrhills or live here but get injured elsewhere, it is still possible for you to file a claim or lawsuit. The important thing is that the accident occurred in Florida, and file your claim within the statute of limitations.
What if a Loved One Dies from an Injury?
Losing a loved one due to someone else’s negligence can be devastating, but it may also leave you with financial concerns regarding funeral expenses and medical costs. If you are a surviving family member, you can file for wrongful death under Florida law.
How Much Will It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis. This means they do not charge any legal fees unless they successfully recover compensation for your case.
How Much is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
The value of a personal injury claim depends on several factors, including the severity of the injuries, who is at fault, and whether or not you will be able to make a full recovery. In general, the more serious your injuries are, the higher your claim is likely to be.
Can I Get a Cash Settlement for My Injury?
It is possible to get a cash settlement for a personal injury case. However, this depends on the facts and circumstances of your case. Speak with an experienced lawyer to find out if you can get a cash settlement for your injuries.
How Long Does it Take to Settle a Personal Injury Case?
The length of time it takes to settle a personal injury lawsuit varies depending on the facts and circumstances of the case. For example, if liability is not disputed, it may be possible to settle early in the process. However, if there are complex legal issues and the parties cannot agree on a settlement, the case may take longer to resolve.
Types of Personal Injury Claims Our Firm Covers
At The Fran Haasch Law Group, our personal injury attorneys cover various cases that fall under personal injury law. This includes:
- Auto Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Rideshare Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Trucking Accidents
- Slip and Fall Cases
- Dog Bite Injuries
Contact Zephyrhills Personal Injury Lawyers at The Fran Haasch Law Group For a Free Case Evaluation
When you seek compensation for the injuries you’ve suffered, it is important to have an experienced attorney on your side who can guide you through the legal process. The Fran Haasch Law Group is a team of experienced personal injury attorneys dedicated to helping personal injury victims get the maximum compensation they are entitled to. We have years of experience fighting for the rights of injured victims, and we know how to get results.