Skip to content

How to get a 3 Wheel Motorcycle License

man riding a three wheeled motorcycle in florida

If you want to get a 3-wheel motorcycle license in Florida, you have come to the right place. In this blog post, we will walk you through getting your license, and we will also answer some common questions that people have about getting 3-wheel motorcycle driver licenses. So, if you are ready, let’s get started.

Whether you love to ride two-wheel or three-wheel motorcycles, the attorneys at The Fran Haasch Law Group want you to be as safe as possible when you’re enjoying the open road. If you ever suffer an injury in an accident caused by another’s negligence, we’ll provide the passionate representation you need to have the best chance to obtain compensation. Contact us as soon as you can for a free evaluation of your case.

Can I Ride a 3-Wheel Vehicle on Public Roads in Florida?

Yes, you can. In Florida, 3-wheel vehicles are considered motorcycles. Therefore, if your 3-wheeler has an engine of more than 50cc, then the State of Florida requires you to either have a motorcycle endorsement on your Class E Florida driver license or a “motorcycle-only” license.

What are the Requirements for Getting a Motorcycle License in Florida?

To get a motorcycle license in Florida, you must be at least 16 years old, and if under 18 years old, hold a Learner’s License for one year with no traffic violations. You must also complete an approved motorcycle safety course, pay the licensing fees, and pass the same knowledge test as a regular class E Florida operator’s driver license.

How do I Get a Motorcycle License in Florida?

To get a motorcycle license in Florida, you will need to visit the nearest office that issues driver licenses and complete the following steps:

-Pass a written knowledge test.

-Show verification that you’ve completed a 3-wheel Basic Rider Course (BRC). The Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website has a list of facilities throughout the state where you can take the course.

-Pay applicable fees at the driver license office.

You may also be required to complete additional steps if you are under 18 years old or have a driver’s license that is currently suspended or revoked.

What is the 3-Wheel Basic Rider Course?

The first step in getting a 3-wheel motorcycle license is to take the BRC, which teaches you the basics of riding and operating your 3-wheeler safely on public roads. The 3-wheel BRC is designed for people who have little or no experience with motorcycles but want to learn how they work before buying one. It’s also perfect if you’ve been driving cars for years now and want some practice before hitting the open road on a 3-wheeler.

How to get a 3 Wheel Motorcycle License, three wheeled motorcycle

How Does it Work?

The course mixes classroom instruction and riding time on a practice range. You’ll learn about the different parts of a motorcycle, how to start, stop, and turn, and more.

Different training facilities charge different prices for the 3-wheel BRC. Some will quote you an all-inclusive price. This price includes not only the 3-wheeler to train on, but also all of your protective gear, including a helmet, gloves, boots, etc. Others will quote you what seems to be a really low price, then charge extra for the bike and protective equipment. Make sure you find out exactly what your price will include before you take the course.

If the BRC facility doesn’t offer 3-wheelers, you’ll either need to bring your own or borrow or rent one. You’ll need to bring a signed document stating you have permission from the owner of the vehicle. In addition, you’ll also need to provide proof that you have liability insurance for the 3-wheeler you’ll be using.

You will have to go to your local driver’s license office or tax collector office within a year of passing your BRC to obtain your motorcycle endorsement. If you wait longer than that, you’ll have to pass the BRC again.

Do I Have to Take the BRC, or Is There Another Safety Course I Can Take?

You can enroll in another type of Florida rider training program known as S/TEP (Sidecar/Trike Education Program). This course is for those who don’t plan on riding a two-wheel motorcycle. You can take the S/TEP to obtain an endorsement on your valid driver license, but it will be what is known as an “S” endorsement. This basically means you’ll be limited to operating a motorcycle with more than two wheels, or a motorcycle with a sidecar attached.

The requirements to participate in the S/TEP are as follows:

  • Obtain at least a Learner’s Driver License. Also, you’ll need to have some knowledge of the general rules of the road, as well as basic traffic laws.
  • In most cases, you’ll need to bring your own 3-wheeler or have written permission from the owner of the 3-wheeler you’re using.
  • You’ll probably have to bring your own protective gear (helmet, gloves, boots, etc.)
  • Proof of liability insurance covering the 3-wheeler you’ll be using.

Motorcycle rider education is important, no matter what type of course you take. It will help keep you safe when you’re on the road.

Will My Florida Motorcycle Endorsement Run Out?

No, it does not. Your endorsement will be good for life once it’s added to your driver license.

If You Ever Need Help, the Fran Haasch Law Group Will Be Here for You

The Fran Haasch Law Group has a group of skilled attorneys who share your passion for motorcycles. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you’re ever hurt in an accident caused by someone else.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Contact Us Today

Contact The Fran Haasch Law Group online or by phone to speak to an experienced attorney in Clearwater today.

MM slash DD slash YYYY
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

metricool pixel