What Amount/Type of Insurance Do Other Drivers Have?

car accident can be a frightening experience all on its own. When the other driver doesn’t have insurance, or is underinsured, it can become even more frightening. Suddenly, you’re faced with figuring out how the bodily and/or auto damage will be covered financially.

Unfortunately, if you are injured in an accident there is a high chance the other person isn’t covered to pay for your medical expenses. Bodily Injury (BI) coverage is not required in Florida. It is designed to compensate an injured party for damages the negligent party may have caused. The best way to find out if the other party is covered is by hiring an attorney to review your case. After thorough review of your accident and careful investigation into the other party’s insurance coverage, we will notify you if the other motorist had any BI coverage, as well as the amount covered.

If the other driver doesn’t have any BI coverage, it doesn’t necessarily mean you need to pay for your medical expenses out of pocket or through your medical insurance. If you have Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage on your auto insurance plan, you may not have to. This type of coverage protects an injured person from paying for damages caused by the at-fault party. It can be used if the other party has no BI coverage or too little coverage to pay for all your damages.

If the at-fault party’s insurance company informs us there is no BI coverage, or not enough BI coverage, a decision will be made as to whether you have UM coverage. We will notify you of the amount of your UM coverage, so you don’t have to worry. The state of Florida requires automobile drivers to be insured for $10,000 in property damage and $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. This type of coverage is different from BI coverage.

If you or someone you know has been in an auto accident resulting in bodily injury, please reach out to us. We have extensive knowledge and experience with personal injury law, particularly as it applies to cases of uninsured or underinsured motorists. Call us at (727) 784-8191 or contact us onlinefor your free case evaluation.

Recommended Posts